http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/05/07/desktop_factory.html

Apperantly these printers have been around for around 10 years, but cost over $15,000, limiting them to large manufacturers. Now they will be priced closer to $7,000, which is still a large sum of money, but more realistic to an average buyer.

It takes a 3d program, and can create anything that you can put into the 3d program. It uses powdered plastic to create layers, and uses the program as a guide to make, well, whatever. Supposedly, when these things become cheaper, you will be able to download specs on parts of toys or models, or other such things, and then can just "print" it, and you have a replacement part. Smile

Check out the link for more info.
That's not really anything new, but it is cool that prices for 3D printers are coming down so fast.
That would be great to have spear heads and daggers stored on my computer... The printer's website says that it's maximum printing size is only 5x5x5, but the only thing preventing me from starting my own Toy Story army is a shortage of powdery plastic. Razz
That, and the $7,000 needed to buy one, I'm assuming Razz
Wow, that's really cool. To bad it costs so much money Laughing . Of course, what would I use it for anyway?
Psh.... Forget them! Everything you need to build your own can be had for the low low price of 3000 dollars! You can use almost any material to! (chocolate, cheese, plastic etc. =P Although the printing speed and precision might be slightly slower)

The only other disadvantage would be the object can't be to big...
www.fabathome.org !
Sweet! I sooo gotta build me one of those!

On a completely unrelated note - anyone able to, uh..., "lend" me some money? Very Happy
That would be awesome! A personal army of miniature dragons and angels and devils... The awesome armies of Death and Life.... Now, to scrape together $7000... Or make one...but i'm to lazy to make one... Sounds really cool though Smile.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours