I have a dell Dimensino 2400, and its like 18 months old. I turned it off last night and now all of a sudden it won't turn on. I just changed my walpaper and it won't turn on. The LEDS's register that the system is not on, but the green cyliner LED is steady. Help?
unplug it and plug it back in. If that doesn't work, call up Dell Tech Support - you did pay for it, after all. Might as well use it.
I tried that, and teh warranty is expired...
Angel14995 wrote:
I tried that, and teh warranty is expired...

*the. You seem to have developed an obsession with the non-existent word "teh" - please stop that. Its "the".

Any who, sucks to be you then. If unplugging it and plugging it back in doesn't work, and you get no response whatsoever from the power button, then something is dead.

List of suspects:
PSU (easy to test)
Power button (easy to test)
Motherboard (not so easy to test)

To test the PSU, all you have to do is jump it. Open up the computer, find the 20 pin cable going to the motherboard from the PSU. Then, find the only green wire, and using a bent wire (paperclip works great), connect the green wire to any black wire (there should be a black wire right next to it). If the power supply is plugged in and turned on, you should now hear the fan spin up (and anything connected to it should turn on - such as other fans). If they don't, then you are either A) jumping the wrong pins, or b) you have a dead PSU

To test the power button you can use something like a multimeter (or a AA battery with an LED works) - it should be a momentary switch (aka, it only completes the circuit when pushed in)

The only way to test if it is the motherboard or not is if you have a spare PSU you can try it with....
He says "the green cyliner LED is steady." In normal English, I suppose that becomes "the HDD LED is constantly on." That would indicate a working PSU, no?
oh, sorry, resolved after last post... didn't have time to post though... BUt Ok, i'll stop using "teh". The reason I use it is because I type in my own way and my fingers know where the keys are but sometimes push in the wrong order...
Angel14995 wrote:
The reason I use it is because I type in my own way and my fingers know where the keys are but sometimes push in the wrong order...

its ok, We all do it at some point, I did it for a while but now I don't anymore, just focus a little bit more when typing Wink
And definitely proofread your posts. That's key. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
He says "the green cyliner LED is steady." In normal English, I suppose that becomes "the HDD LED is constantly on." That would indicate a working PSU, no?

I guess, but then what the hell does this mean? "The LEDS's register that the system is not on" - I assumed it meant all the LEDs were off o.0
I suppose he might mean "steady off," but that seems like a particularly bad way to phrase it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours