Who thinks I should install Linux over Windows?
Yes
 69%  [ 9 ]
No
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Actually, it's just a strange version numbering scheme. It's gone (I think) 5.04, 5.10, 6.06, 6.10, 7.04. That's hardly date related.
I ah, beg to differ. Sorry Tari, I read up on it first Razz

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/about-ubuntu/C/version-numbers.html

Quote:
The Ubuntu version numbering scheme is based on the date we release a version of the distribution. The version number comes from the year and month of the release rather than reflecting the actual version of the software. Our first release (Warty Warthog) was in October 2004 so its version was 4.10. This version (Edgy Eft) was released in October 2006 so its version number is 6.10.

Smile
Oh, ok. I didn't think about year.month, just month.year, or maybe day.month for some reason.
I had this same Question on weather to install linux or not. But I was planing to duel boot on an old pc runing xp( but can bearly handle even that. What do you guys suggest?
PS. If you want specs I can have them on Monday.
Linux is much, MUCH more forgiving of older hardware than Windows. So if it can barely run XP, then it will easily run Linux (and it will provide a smoother, nicer computing experience)

Re numbering: Gentoo has an interesting numbering scheme, it goes year.half (released every 6 months). So 2006.0 was released beginning of '06, and 2006.1 was released middle of '06, etc... But unlike Ubuntu, this number never shows up once you've installed it, as all it is is a more up-to-date install base, not a different "version" per se.
interesting. Btw, make sure you are downloading 7.04 now (it was released today, I am upgrading to it tonight).
When I was reading my python book it said python was shipped on some linux computers, so is python shipped with ubuntu or do I have to download a linux version?
It's generally installed with Ubuntu; several of the default apps utilize it.
definitely go for Ubuntu, its the pwn, especially the new Feisty Fawn release.
elfprince13 wrote:
definitely go for Ubuntu, its the pwn, especially the new Feisty Fawn release.

Mine disks were shipped on the 23rd
doing a double update--6.06 to 6.10 to 7.04, 8 minutes left on the first one
Ugh, I tried to do that, it messed up my system something horrible... Tried to login, all I could get were /dev/null errors of some sort... on a loop, of course... downloaded teh CD on my laptop, now I'm running 7.04 with Beryl... hell yeah Smile
I finally got around to starting a torrent of Feisty, and it would have finished last night, but my connection cut out a bunch in the middle of the night. I need to reinstall GRUB, too..
Don't worry about GRUB, the Feisty CD will do it for you Smile (and it automatically sets it up ;P)
alex10819 wrote:
Ugh, I tried to do that, it messed up my system something horrible... Tried to login, all I could get were /dev/null errors of some sort... on a loop, of course... downloaded teh CD on my laptop, now I'm running 7.04 with Beryl... hell yeah Smile

reboot into recovery mode, dpkg --configure -a
yeah, feisty is a nice release, but I will probably fall back to edgy as I can't get it to connect to my wireless network, but things were perfect in edgy. I think I have a couple of different things to try out first, and if they don't work, I will be downgrading.
did you do an inplace upgrade or a fresh install? my inplace left all my settings intact (except for the opera settings, but that was cause I had to reinstall opera due to a change in where the java plugin is located).

anywho, I'm now set up in Feisty, loving it, and I'm gonna try getting rdesktop+RDP+VirtualBox running tomorrow so I wont ever have to boot into windows again

[edit]

evidently VirtualBox and existing windows partitions doesn't get along well, so I found this tutorial: http://oopsilon.com/Running-a-Windows-Partition-in-VMware
I tried to do the update, but that failed badly (I think it was because of envy), so then I did a straight install. I might do an edgy install, get that on the network, make the upgrade, and see what happens then. If that doesn't work, then I will be back to edgy and praying for better luck down the road.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours