Do you thinks schools should have a class like this?
Yes
 83%  [ 5 ]
No
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

I think it would be a good idea for schools to require students to take a financial class of sorts, that teaches them how to write checks and balance checkbooks and things like that. The reason i think this is because I have a checking account and I had no idea how to do anything with it. I know i had to get my mom to show me how to fill out a deposit slip about ten times. Then the other day I got a thing telling me how much I deposited and I thought that was how much i had in the bank.
My school requires half a year of economics for graduation, which is (I think), basically the same thing.
My school also requires that, but it should be a requirement, no question.
My school offered nothing of the kind; I definitely agree that it should be a requirement for high school graduation.
I think it should be a requirement, but more of financial PLANNING than anything else. The amount of credit card debt people have is ridiculous, and the interest on that is killer. For example, if you have a $5,000 credit card debt - which is close to the national average - then you will end up paying MORE in INTEREST ALONE over the course of a year than you actually have in debt. I calculated it once (don't remember what interest rate I used or what credit card company it was), and it was like $7,000 a year just to maintain that $5,000 debt. Then, of course, there are things like bonds, stocks, CDs, etc... for more long term savings.

What you, lafferjm, are describing mostly falls under common sense. If you put in $100, but withdraw $40 later, then you have $60 left over in the account Rolling Eyes Its really NOT all that difficult and its something that any parent should, and can, easily teach their kid once they help them sign up with a new account - definitely not something that needs its own class...
I agree with Kllrnohj, I think many people really do need help with financial planning and it really is just common sense to fill out a deposit slip, (I mean come on it is basically self explanatory.)
My school requires one semester of family consumer science for seniors which teaches that type of thing. They teach you how to write a check, balance your checkbook, fill out a deposit slip, and what to look for in banks and credit card companies.
I still think that is a VERY stupid class and only somebody with an IQ below 5 would want to take it, but that is just my opinion. Rolling Eyes
Here is my stance really. I think people should have to learn that kind of stuff (I don't think there is an argument there), but I don't think the school should be responsible for that kind of stuff, that should be the parents of the child. The only problem is that some don't teach it, and some don't even know it them selves, I mean, just look at how popular bankruptcy and the similar have gotten. Ah well, such is life really.
My parents taught me how to write checks and balance my checkbook when I got it, but I still learned a lot in class. Our parents are older than us. A regularly updated curriculum is very helpful with things like this.
um, one would hope that your parents would learn and follow with the way finances work as they go through life.

I did take an accounting course in high school, but it was more business related, but still nice to go through.
rivereye wrote:
um, one would hope that your parents would learn and follow with the way finances work as they go through life.

Yes, one would hope. Up until yesterday I worked in a gas station (The owners sold. I'm unemployed right now... Sad). Believe me, I have seen a lot of bounced checks there. It may be common sense to intelligent calculator geeks, but some people could really use a structured education on these things.
Kllrnohj wrote:
What you, lafferjm, are describing mostly falls under common sense. If you put in $100, but withdraw $40 later, then you have $60 left over in the account Rolling Eyes Its really NOT all that difficult and its something that any parent should, and can, easily teach their kid once they help them sign up with a new account - definitely not something that needs its own class...

Man why do you have to answer my post so rude. First you think you know everything about computers and now financial stuff. I don't think you know anything god. Laughing

Anyways on a more serious note I only find that stuff hard to remember because i only deposit stuff every couple of weeks which isn't often enough for me to remember how.
foamy3 wrote:
rivereye wrote:

Yes, one would hope. Up until yesterday I worked in a gas station (The owners sold. I'm unemployed right now... Sad). Believe me, I have seen a lot of bounced checks there. It may be common sense to intelligent calculator geeks, but some people could really use a structured education on these things.

man, that sucks. I hope my boss doesn't sell anytime soon (I doubt he will, as he is still trying to recover from the initial cost from opening).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours