It would seem that I am not a grammar or spelling Nazi, but rather the people I so often correct just suck. Which is, of course, why I end up correcting more and more people, as the trend of coherent spelling and grammar is of a downward nature.

--> proof! http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-4-25/54532.html proof! <--
I find it easier for me to text and IM using relatively correct grammar and spelling. =/
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I find it easier for me to text and IM using relatively correct grammar and spelling. =/

Same here. But then again, that may be why I correct people so often, as I fail to see why THEY can't seem to understand that '2' is a number, and 'u' is a letter. Rolling Eyes
People say 'thy type lke ths' because it saves time, but I find it a lot harder to type faster that way because I have to think of what I am going to say, then translate it to noobspeak.
For texting it is better to type like that though because I get charged by the letter so you have to save money on those letters. Otherwise when I am somewhere where money isn't a factor I think that it is definetly faster to type in real english words.
I get charged by the text and use the thing where I dont have to press the key multiple times, it just uses the function that puts together the keys i've pressed into possible words =D
I try hard to spell out entire words when typing. I (as my name implies) have a huge speling and grammar issue and if I typed like "R u going 2 skool" it could only be bad for me.
Kllrnohj wrote:
It would seem that I am not a grammar or spelling Nazi, but rather the people I so often correct just suck. Which is, of course, why I end up correcting more and more people, as the trend of coherent spelling and grammar is of a downward nature.

--> proof! http://en.epochtimes.com/news/7-4-25/54532.html proof! <--

I cannot find it but, the other day I saw a thing about texting and bad grammar. They did some study and found that kids who texted a lot actually had better grammar than those who do not. I still agree with you Kllrnohj though that bad grammar is not acceptable, even though sometimes I am the cluprit. Very Happy
Yes, you are the cluprit. Laughing
i am not da clprt. Evil or Very Mad
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I get charged by the text and use the thing where I dont have to press the key multiple times, it just uses the function that puts together the keys i've pressed into possible words =D

T9 Word. I find that useful. Though I actually hate texting, I text to save money if its to meet up with someone. Instead of paying 90 cents, I can pay ~20 cents and come up with the same meeting spot, sense I pay 18 cents per minute, and 5 cents per text.

I do find reading 'Cellular text,' I'll call it that for now, a lot slower than normal text. You have to comprehend 'ur' into 'your' and many other abbreviations into normal text.

I learned my Online Text Etiquette' over at PSP-Vault.
Idea I quote from the post Idea :
PSP-Vault Etiquette wrote:

We want this to be a very open, friendly community, but there are a few basic posting guidelines that need to be observed on any online forum.
Halifax wrote:
For texting it is better to type like that though because I get charged by the letter so you have to save money on those letters. Otherwise when I am somewhere where money isn't a factor I think that it is definetly faster to type in real english words.

charged by the LETTER? wtf? Every cell phone company I have seen is by the text.... Who the hell are you with?

@mexi: This study says the exact opposite that texting is causing bad grammar - and I tend to agree with them.
I think so also (who has seen the commercial where the parent is taking the cellphone and the kid is speaking in text chat talk).
rivereye wrote:
I think so also (who has seen the commercial where the parent is taking the cellphone and the kid is speaking in text chat talk).

I have, and it pisses me off. Seriously, if my kid ever actually spelled out an internet acronym, I would slap that kid right across the room - and take away any and all forms of text communication.
I don't think that would be my immediate reaction. In fact, I might be proud of said child for trying to become more technologically literate, as long as it was an isolated occasion and not a regular occurence.
spelling out 'L-O-L' (as in saying each letter) has nothing to do with being more technologically literate, its more about becoming English-ignorant Rolling Eyes That, and it would suggest to me that as it is an attempt at saving time, that I, as his/her parent, isn't worth the kids time - obviously false Wink

You have seen the commercial, right Kerm?
I know someone would actually say lol (not as l-o-l, but actually as a word) instead of laughing when there is something to laugh about. Would really get to me there.
Eh, In my effort to stop cursing I have taken up saying 'W-T-F'.... I am so ashamed...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours