http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/breaking-ps3-folding-ps3-triples-folding-at-homes-computing-power-to-over-500-tflopspflops-in-spitting-range-246664.php

whoa, 13,000 PS3s now account for 56 percent of folding@home's 579 tereflops of processing power - impressive. PFLOPS are within spitting distance now, just need to get a handful more of them PS3 owners folding (something like 18,000 more according to the article) - spread the word to all your friends with PS3s! Get them helping to find cures with their PS3's spare power

This, along with Sony's newly announce Home (or whatever) for the PS3, along with it being the cheapest BlueRay player on the market, actually makes me want to get one - kind of ironic that its not the games that makes me want a PS3 Very Happy

EDIT: To those that are interested in helping a great cause, here is F@H's homepage: http://folding.stanford.edu/ And if you have a Radeon X1900, you can get a F@H client to run on that (eat it raydan - code that executes solely on the GPU) http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html
That is pretty impressive... I hope they quickly reach a petaflop, then farm that sucker out. I'd love to execute some stuff on a petaflop distributed network Shock
I <3 Digg :p

thats pretty cool.
KermMartian wrote:
That is pretty impressive... I hope they quickly reach a petaflop, then farm that sucker out. I'd love to execute some stuff on a petaflop distributed network Shock

uhh... no Kerm, folding@home has plenty of work for the people running it to do, they aren't just gonna let people leech off their network (talk about violating user agreements Very Happy ) - besides, finding cures for diseases is so much more important than anything YOU can come up with Cool

Speaking of which, I sure hope all of you have folding@home on your PCs.... Wink (I got two instances running on my dual-core machine at all times - background service FTW!) If you are worried it will slow down your machine, forget about that. It always sets itself to the lowest possible priority, so you won't even know its running

@elf: Actually, I got that from hardocp.com Razz (I don't "digg")

EDIT: Updated the first post with links to F@H (oops)
does it matter which team we join in?
We should have a cemetech team. Smile
foamy3 wrote:
Heh, I was just about to suggest the exact same thing. I think that would totally pwn.
KermMartian wrote:
foamy3 wrote:
Heh, I was just about to suggest the exact same thing. I think that would totally pwn.

I'm not sure how it would work with my dial-up, but if you started a cemetech team I would fold for it. Especially when I get to college.
foamy, all it would do is take longer to talk to the server. Once your machine has the task, really doesn't matter if it can talk to the server until it is done.

Btw, my pathetic machine took over an hour to get 1% done with it's take, ah well.
I'm rarely ever online on my comp. Only from 10pm - about 11:30. It ties up my phone line. I can't get callwave to work in wine.

EDIT: Whoops, I must have forgotten where my shift key was. Very Happy
foamy3 wrote:
I'm not sure how it would work with my dial-up, but if you started a cemetech team I would fold for it. Especially when I get to college.

That doesn't matter, you can set it to ask you before it attempts to get the next workload. You can also tell it to limit you to workloads that are under 5mb (I think - there is an option for disabling large work units, but I'm not positive on the specific cut-off size). The one I am currently processing is less than 800kb, so they are rather small but they will take you easily a week to a month to 'fold' if you leave your PC on all the time.

I personally fold for team 33, the [H]orde ([H]ard|OCP's folding team - which is in first place Razz ) http://hardfolding.com/

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=Kllrnohj

Note to all you linux users - there IS a native linux client, w00t. Also, if you have a dual-core machine, make sure you set it up to run two instances (as its not a multi-threaded program)
The linux client isn't graphical, though, is it?
no, but you can't use the graphical client if you have a dual-core machine, either (at least you can't if you want to run two instances)

The graphical client is fun for all of 5 minutes, anyway Very Happy
yeah, I don't know how large the one I am working on here is, but it does take time.
I just right clicked on the folder called 'work' in the F@H install location and looked at the size of it - not very exact (as that will include all of the programs temporary files and results of previous calculations), but if anything its an upper-estimate Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours