The three most downloaded files in the past week on ticalc are tic tac toe programs. Number one on the list has 253256 downloads in the past week, but only 253725 total downloads and is the 3rd most downloaded file of all time. It seems that somebody has a lot of time on their hands.
It is a bot, that is the only explanation.

I have a feeling they will have to make it so people will have to signin/up to access the files before much longer, this has happened several times before...
tifreak8x wrote:

Yeah... I guess so. If you downloaded the file once every second, it would have taken over 70 straight hours to get that many downloads.
I sent in a file report - anyone back me up?
yes.

@tifreak: indeed, that will also make forced ratings easier Very Happy
tifreak8x wrote:

I have a feeling they will have to make it so people will have to signin/up to access the files before much longer, this has happened several times before...
That would totally suck though; it would undermine everything ticalc.org stands for, and downloads would drop like a stone for all authors. I would strongly oppose such a move.
Well, if things continue like this with the bots, then the expense of running it will be much much higher because of all the downloading. I would rather they force people to sign on to get files, than let ticalc be taken down due to costs...
tifreak8x wrote:
Well, if things continue like this with the bots, then the expense of running it will be much much higher because of all the downloading. I would rather they force people to sign on to get files, than let ticalc be taken down due to costs...
True, but if they added about 3 lines of code to their archive statistics script, like something that will notify them when a file gets above 10,000 downloads in one week, they could save everyone a lot of trouble.
Or they could monitor downloads from IPs and see if one IP is repeatedly downloading a file and temp ban the IP (say, 10 downloads for the same file from the same IP in 24 hours results in a 48 hour ban of the IP)
Kllrnohj wrote:
Or they could monitor downloads from IPs and see if one IP is repeatedly downloading a file and temp ban the IP (say, 10 downloads for the same file from the same IP in 24 hours results in a 48 hour ban of the IP)
Sure, that would also work.
I bet you the programmer of the game probably made the bot because he has no life and thinks his games are SOOO good that they should be number one and the he made a crappy bot and left it downloading it for a week until he realized how big of a jerk he was for doing that. He is probably like 39 and still lives with his mom in the basement.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours