This is probably the compiler's fault, but I'm not sure...

This compiles and runs just fine:

Code:
#include <iostream.h>
#include <string>

using std::string;

int main()
{
   string hello;
   hello = "Hello World!";

return 0;
}

This, however, gives me an error that says "error C2679: binary '<<' : no operator defined which takes a right-hand operand of type 'class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<
char> >' (or there is no acceptable conversion)":

Code:
#include <iostream.h>
#include <string>

using std::string;

int main()
{
   string hello;
   hello = "Hello World!";
   cout<<hello;
   return 0;
}

I think the problem is that my compiler is too old. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++, but the copyright dates in the About were 1994-1998. What compiler would you guys suggest? I need one that can be downloaded for free online that is fairly easy to use, as I'm not going to be doing any uber-advanced programming anytime soon.
do you have VC++ 2005? also if you plan on any cross platformness go for the gnu compiler suite (gcc/g++)
I currently have Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. Wikipedia tells me that it was released in 1998 and that Visual C++ 2005 is the latest release.

I want a compiler that compiles C++ code that can run on Windows XP. I'm pretty much just learning C++, so I'm not concerned about cross-platforming or anything at this point.

Another question... My programming book (Deitel's C++ How To Program, published in 2005) says that you need using::cout; before using cout by itself, but in my programming class, the book said nothing about it. Is this new(er)? Why is it necessary?
First of all change "using namespace std::string;" to just "using namespace std;" as cout is defined in the std namespace, but not the std::string namespace Razz

Also, its #include <iostream> not #include <iostream.h>

The problem lies with your code, not the compiler - make those two changes and it should work just fine

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours