Hi all,

I'm writing my own clone of the Z80 in vhdl, and I'm using asz80 / aslink to perform regression testing. One of the problems I have stems from my confusion over the .area directive.

Basically I have a load of tests which I have said are relocatable. (using ".area _CODE")

Then I have hardcoded interupt vector positions 0x38, 0x66 etc. These cannot be moved from these addresses. ( marked ".area VECTORS (ABS)" )

When I compile the hardcoded data is overwritten, by a different area of relocatable code!

Can anyone explain what function the .area command is performing, just so I'm clear in my head. Then explain what each of the parameters is doing. Then explain how one area is able to overwrite another!

Hehehe!

TIA

Paul
What assembler are you porting the syntax from that has a .area directive? I know that we mostly use TASM and derivative assemblers, and I've never seen the .area directive. I can think of .block and .align... If you could share what assembler that syntax is for, it would help.
ciaopaulo wrote:
and I'm using asz80 / aslink to perform regression testing
Yup what elf said! Smile

Reading the TASM documentation I see

Quote:
TASM does not generate relocatable object code and does not support a link phase

So there is no equivelent in TASM. Sorry.
From what I can figure out from documentation, relocatable code for the asz80 merely means you can include the objectified code in other programs before the final assembly without mucking about with lots of .orging and .including.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours