What do you guys think of me making a dictionary program...i'm bored...have nothing to do...did I mention bored. Anyways, do you guys think it would be a waste of time (something that wouldn't be so bad for me Very Happy) or should I just scrap the idea and come up with something else. I already have a list of words and definitions and are ready to be used in a program. Plz comment on the idea and give legit reasons. Okay, skip the legit, jus comment!

BTW. It will not be on the homescreen...maybe the input will, but output will definitely be on the GraphScreen.
great idea....but that would be the biggest program EVER

if it was a 1337 dictionary or something ALOT smaller then it might be a possibility

i don't think any calc could handle that much info
Actually your right...but...that would be a problem if the calc only had RAM and no Archive, if I utilize this and make it RAM efficient I will decrease my RAM usage drastically.

I will have multiple Sub Programs which will be Archived when not in use.
you could prob pull it off...that is...maybe
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/258/25844.html
thats ASM
GM, were you thinking of BASIC or ASM?
Basic...sry I didn't clarify
so ya basic would be crazy...and really slow i might add
ASM seems hard as well mybenot as bad a BASIC though
allynfolksjr wrote:

Not a dictionary, no definitions or any info like that.
Harq wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:

Not a dictionary, no definitions or any info like that.

DAWG was originally intended to include definitions (dictionary and word games), but it was realized what a massive amount of space it would require. Sorry Gangsta, but I kinda think it would be impractical, even if you compressed it all properly...
Alright...well i'm gonna try a mini version...you know gonna put like 2 days into it. If it works out well...i'll let you know. Otherwise, i'm gonna scrap it. Any tips on compression would be much appreciated.

Edit: Guys I need some help. There was a way I could test one variable mutliple times in one IF command. I forgot how I used to do it, but after i tried it, It did not work I got a Syntax error. Here is the format that i tried and it didn't work.

Code:

If Str6=("?A","?B","?C"
Disp "TestABC

so afterwards I tried two other similar types code, and did not get a syntax error, but it didn't work the way I wanted it to..here are the other ways I tried.

Code:

If Str6=("?A" or "?B" or "?C"
Disp "TestABC

and...

Code:

If Str6=("?A") or ("?B") or ("?C")
Disp "TestABC

plz tell me what I am doing wrong,
You can probably use inString( for that (I have little experiance with this command so I will leave it at that).
Never use parentheses around a lone string. Smile
Maybe this?

Code:
If inString(Str6,"?A?B?C
Disp "TestABC

Just in case it's of any use for this, I just thought up a simple element-getting function for a string array... It reads from Str1, and 0's the first element.

Code:
Ans?A
For(A,1,A
inString(Str1,"'",Ans+1
End
DelVar Asub(Str1,Ans+1,inString(Str1,"'",Ans+1)-Ans-1

This one (also by me) finds the index of the element in Str1:

Code:
inString(Str1,Ans)-1?B
0?A
Repeat Ans=B
IS>(A,A+1
inString(Str1,"'",Ans+1
End
A
DelVar ADelvar B

An apostrophe ' separates string elements, while a ? indicates the sto arrow. Sample things:

Code:
"'NACHOS'CHEESE'TOGETHER...'GOOD.'?Str1
2:prgmGETIT

or:

Code:
"'NACHOS'CHEESE'TOGETHER...'GOOD.'?Str1
"CHEESE":prgmFINDIT

Hope it all helps! Razz

On a side note I'm 1/20th of the way to 1k posts. Laughing
haveacalc wrote:
Never use parentheses around a lone string. Smile
Maybe this?

Code:
If inString(Str6,"?A?B?C
Disp "TestABC

Well that code tests str6 for "?A?B?C". I'm trying to test if it has "?A" or ?B" or ?C". It could have either then execute. I may just end up using this though...

Code:

Input ":", Str6
"?"+Str6 -> Str6
If InString(Str6,"?A" or Instring(Str6,"?B" or Instring(Str6,"?C" or Instring(Str6,"?D"
Then
UnArchive Subprog1
Prgrm Subprog1
Archive Subprog1
End

Which is similar to what I had originally thought of...

Code:

Input ":", Str6
"?"+Str6 -> Str6
If Sub(Str6,1,2)="?A" or Sub(Str6,1,2)="?B" or Sub(Str6,1,2)="?C" or Instring(Str6,"?D"
Then
UnArchive Subprog1
Prgrm Subprog1
Archive Subprog1
End
Except you can't archive or unarchive within a bsic program without a little bit of help from asm...

This program should do the trick:

Code:
PROGRAM:ARCH
:AsmPrgm
:21F8897EEE0277C9

Then do this:

Code:
:Asm(prgmARCH
:do archiving/unarchiving here
calc84maniac wrote:
Except you can't archive or unarchive within a bsic program without a little bit of help from asm...

This program should do the trick:

Code:
PROGRAM:ARCH
:AsmPrgm
:21F8897EEE0277C9

Then do this:

Code:
:do archiving/unarchiving here

OMG! I can't believe I forgot that.

Its been so long since I've programmed on a calc...maybe like a year.
Thnx for the Heads up!
Okay I tried the code and it worked! Cool
thnx!

Edit: Sry guys I accidentally double posted.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours