The main reason I joined this site several weeks ago is because it has a reputation for having some insane asm coders and I've had a gowing interest in learning asm. I have no idea where to start softwarewise though, I suppose I would need an editor, a compiler, and a calculator emulator that all run on my mac but which ones? What tutorials should I use (I here Sigma's is nice)? Is there anything else I need? etc.

Thanks.
I don't know ASM (yet, I plan on working on it after html, css, and javascript). However, I do know that a lot of people around here like latenite and brass for compiling (sorry, I don't know the link) Wink
Latenite and Brass are Windows-only. Currently, there are no really good Mac developing environments, but if you can manage to dual-boot or emulate Windows on your Mac, you can use them.

http://www.benryves.com
Ok... are there any asm coding environments for mac?
have you any previous coding experience on macs?

you will need to install XCode tools (available on your OS X CD or from the apple website) to compile most of these applications

if you have an Intel mac you can use the SPASM assembler by Spencer on revsoft.

you can use an emulator such as DOSBox, VPC, etc or just dual boot with windows to run a windows assembler.

other options:
WLA-DX
z80asm
zasm
tpasm
CAZ (NOT RECOMMENDED, requires Classic)
see this page for more information: http://wikiti.denglend.net/index.php?title=Programming_under_Unix-like_operating_systems
there's also an online compiler that Ive seen a link to on UTI.
Thanks elfprince, I have a intel mac so I think I'll start by looking up SPASM and go from there (I may end up duelbooting actually, some things just came up).
wonder if you can do the use vmware to run a windows partition on a mac Wink
Super Speler wrote:
Thanks elfprince, I have a intel mac so I think I'll start by looking up SPASM and go from there (I may end up duelbooting actually, some things just came up).

SPASM is definitely the best choice if you are on intel.

@kllrnohj: probably, but why bother when you could use parallels?
Kllrnohj wrote:
And if you're going to bother with that, why not just use BootCamp and make it full-speed?
KermMartian wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
And if you're going to bother with that, why not just use BootCamp and make it full-speed?

see my previous post Rolling Eyes although

1) the intel macs can run it under emulation without too much difficulty
2)some people dont like rebooting
KermMartian wrote:

Simple:
1) Rebooting takes time
2) Rebooting means you have to stop what you are doing (eg, downloading a file)
3) Why go with the clunky solution rather than the ultra-elegant hardware-supported virtual software support since the CPU supports it?

@Elf: Yeah, you could do that. I forgot about parallels Smile But can you use a windows partition with that?
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Simple:
1) Rebooting takes time
2) Rebooting means you have to stop what you are doing (eg, downloading a file)
3) Why go with the clunky solution rather than the ultra-elegant hardware-supported virtual software support since the CPU supports it?

@Elf: Yeah, you could do that. I forgot about parallels Smile But can you use a windows partition with that?

thats the point, dual booting without having to reboot, better integration than you get with VMWare or VPC, and none of the bugginess of wine
Ok. I've never used Parallels, so I have no idea how it works (as in whether or not it uses a physical partition or just a file on the local filesystem)

But yeah, there are several programs that can utilize the virtual support of the CPU (both AMD and Intel) - I'm going to wait for KVM to be integrated into the kernel before I try one, though Very Happy
Quote:
Parallels Desktop for Mac is a hardware emulation virtualization software, using hypervisor technology that works by mapping the host computer’s hardware resources directly to the virtual machine’s resources, allowing each virtual machine to operate identically to a standalone computer. Each virtual machine effectively has its own processor, RAM, floppy and CD drives, I/O devices, and hard disk—all the resources of a physical computer[1]. Parallels Desktop for Mac virtualizes all devices within the virtual environment, including the video adapter, network adapter, and hard disk adapters. It also provides pass-through drivers for parallel port and USB devices.

Because all guest virtual machines use the same hardware drivers irrespective of the actual hardware on the host computer, virtual machine instances are highly portable between computers. For example, a running virtual machine can be stopped, copied to another physical computer, and restarted.

[edit]
Features

Parallels Desktop for Mac is able to virtualize a full set of standard PC hardware, including [2]
A virtualized processor of the Host computer
A generic motherboard compatible with Intel i815 chipset
Up to 1.5GB of RAM for 32-bit guest virtual machines
Up to 32MB of video RAM (VRAM) will be offered in version 3.0
VGA and SVGA video cards with VESA 3.0 support
A 1.44 MB floppy drive, which can be mapped to a physical drive or to an image file.
Up to four IDE devices. This includes virtual hard drives that range in size from 20 MB to 128 GB each and CD/DVD-ROM drives. IDE devices can be mapped to physical drive or to an image file.
Up to four serial ports that can be mapped to a real port, to a pipe or to an output file.
Up to three bi-directional parallel ports, each of which can be mapped to a real port, to a real printer or to an output file.
An Ethernet virtual network card compatible with Realtek RTL8029(AS).
2-port USB 1.1 controller. (USB 2.0 functionality has been added in the public beta builds of Desktop for Mac 3.0)[3]
An AC97 compatible sound card.
A 104-key Windows enhanced keyboard and a PS/2 wheel mouse.

[edit]
Supported OSes

[edit]
Primary OS

Desktop needs to be installed on Mac OS X “Tiger” 10.4.6 or higher running on an Intel-powered Mac. Parallels also claims full compatibility for the not yet released Mac OS X "Leopard" 10.5.

[edit]
Guest OSes

Desktop supports running a wide variety of guest operating systems. It will run all but 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows, various Linux distributions, FreeBSD, eComStation, OS/2, Solaris and MS-DOS. There are likely to be others, so long as the OS will run on a virtualised Intel x-86 guest processor.
Quote:
For example, a running virtual machine can be stopped, copied to another physical computer, and restarted.

Doesn't mention whether or not it uses an actual, bootable partition or just a file Razz

I'm familiar with virtualization, and like I said, its not just a Mac/Parallels thing Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
For example, a running virtual machine can be stopped, copied to another physical computer, and restarted.

Doesn't mention whether or not it uses an actual, bootable partition or just a file Razz

I'm familiar with virtualization, and like I said, its not just a Mac/Parallels thing Wink

I figured you were, but Im not exactly an expert so I figured Id post the nitty gritty instead of paraphrasing, and yes it uses a partition, its designed for people who've already installed for use with bootcamp

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours