My new processor is 2.13ghz. My current single core celeron is 2.7. I know that my new one will be faster, but how much faster will it be? Is there any way to translate the new speed to what it would be like on the old system?
really, to tell you, the best way is to see benchmarks for the things you do. Certain procs do better on other things. Another factor is cache. Also, 64bit will out perform 32 bit, plus, when multithreading, the more cores, the better.
foamy3 wrote:
My new processor is 2.13ghz. My current single core celeron is 2.7. I know that my new one will be faster, but how much faster will it be? Is there any way to translate the new speed to what it would be like on the old system?

there is no nice, neat conversion. Just start ignoring ghz ratings COMPLETELY. The only exception is when comparing IDENTICAL microarchitecture (eg, a 2.0ghz core 2 is slower than a 2.13ghz core 2, but a 2.0ghz core 2 is faster than a 2.13ghz core 1)

also remember that "celeron" is a synonym for POS Razz

To give you a rough idea, you are looking at a 200-250% improvement PER CORE. So if you have a multi-threaded program, expect it to run about 5 times as fast as your celeron Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
also remember that "celeron" is a synonym for POS Razz

Haha, yeah, I know. This comp was cheap, though. Smile

Kllrnohj wrote:
To give you a rough idea, you are looking at a 200-250% improvement PER CORE. So if you have a multi-threaded program, expect it to run about 5 times as fast as your celeron Smile

haha, nice.

My best friend has a 2.0ghz amd 64bit single core overclocked up to 2.2. Should I expect his to be faster than mine at single-threaded programs?
After I just finish telling you that ghz means nothing except when comparing identical microarchitectures, you go and give me just the ghz and manufacturer Rolling Eyes thanks foamy Razz

letsee, it'll be anywhere from his being faster, to equal, to yours being faster - depending heavily on what you are doing. Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:
After I just finish telling you that ghz means nothing except when comparing identical microarchitectures, you go and give me just the ghz and manufacturer Rolling Eyes thanks foamy Razz

I had to ask you because you said ghz didn't matter on different architectures. If it was comparable, I would have figured it out on my own. I just asked to see if you happened to know.

Kllrnohj wrote:
letsee, it'll be anywhere from his being faster, to equal, to yours being faster - depending heavily on what you are doing. Smile

Ah, I see Smile
but isn't the 2.4 Ghz core 2 duo much much better than the 2.13 one because of it's superior cache? or am I confusing it for some other stat?
foamy3 wrote:
I had to ask you because you said ghz didn't matter on different architectures. If it was comparable, I would have figured it out on my own. I just asked to see if you happened to know.

Yes, I would know if you had told me WHAT MICRO-ARCHITECTURE!!! Razz AMD makes more than one line of CPUs, and they have had several micro-architectures over the course of their 64-bit CPUs. Even though I know its an Athlon64, that doesn't mean crap, because they revise the CPU several times during the same product line (case in point, the P4. The first series was really quite decent, the prescotts just sucked)

That, and some AMD CPUs have the same clock-speed, but more cache (an extra 512kb cache is roughly equivalent to 200mhz - obviously this is a very limited comparison, and only really applies to the Athlon64 line that I know of)

For example, the X2 4400 is the same as the X2 4200 except the 4400 has double the cache (an extra 512kb). The 4600 forgoes the extra cache in favor of the higher clock speed, at the 4800 brings back that extra cache (so 4600 + more cache)

But, just to get this out of the way, even though his is running DDR (I'm guessing) and yours is running DDR2, his machine will still probably spank you like a little school girl when it comes to memory performance Wink

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours