Just a heads up to anyone wanting a PS3, just go check your local stores towards the evenings. At target we have gotten shipment after shipment of PS3s. The shipments range in size from 1 (yes, I'm serious, we had a single PS3 UPS'd to us around 4pm), to 8 or so. Last night we actually had several (I mean like 3 or 4) PS3s IN STOCK when we closed. These are NOT bundled PS3s either, and are the $600 units. If you are truly desperate for one, check several times throughout the day, as even when the ones of the shelf are sold out, there are usually some still in stock that are being held until later on in the day, when they too are put out

And if anyone is curious, we have only had 1 PS3 returned as being 'defective'.

I'm half tempted to pick one up just to play Blue-Ray movies with.... as its cheaper than other blue-ray players out Rolling Eyes (I won't, though, because I'm thinking HD-DVD is winning the format war Very Happy )
yap for now could be better HD-DVD but blue ray have been thinked to long term use, well when HD-DVD has no more space they will have to use or the blueray tecnology or create a new one....
True, but both can fit a full-length HD movie just fine, so thats not really an issue aside from data storage space and/or when the next bump up in TV resolution occurs

You can also run linux on the PS3 Wink
What would be more amazing would be

Wiis are... available???

Razz
Harq wrote:
What would be more amazing would be

Wiis are... available???

Razz

I thought the Wiis have been available?
Have you tried buying one of those things? Their impossible to get! Surprised
foamy3 wrote:
I thought the Wiis have been available?

Nope. Since launch we have only gotten 2 shipments of them that I know of (although each were for a shipment of 30+). Likewise all controllers (wiimote, nunchuck, classic controller) are all out of stock and sell out easily within a week they get put on the shelf

Although I have yet to see one returned as defective.... Wink
I found one at Fry's for 1000$ (976$ to be exact) just last week. However, it was bundle only offer so it came with 5 games and an extra controller and some other stuff. =/

Towards PS3 this post is directed at. (BTW)
Yeah, thats probably been sitting there since launch day Razz Thats why I made certain to say that these were *not* bundled PS3 units Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
You can also run linux on the PS3 Wink

Okay, thats another reason why I want a PS3, I can have my own computer!!!!! GARRR! Mad

For some reason, I thoiught it was a rumor. Oh wait, the rumor was it comes woth Linux installed... Hence why I wanted one so I could have my own comp =X
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
Okay, thats another reason why I want a PS3, I can have my own computer!!!!! GARRR! Mad

For some reason, I thoiught it was a rumor. Oh wait, the rumor was it comes woth Linux installed... Hence why I wanted one so I could have my own comp =X

uhh.. yeah, sure. Use the PS3 as a computer... ok... Rolling Eyes

as for the linux, I refer you to this -> http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20061204-newsletter.xml
Shock It doesn't come with Linux Installed! NUUU! Shock but, but. Meh, at least you can install it Laughing

Looks like you don't have to buy it.

I have Red Hat Linux when I tried to partition my Windows HDD, but I'm not sure if it will run, looks like Gentoo was recoded for the PS3 ~_~

Maybe I'll install Red Hat on my PS2 (40GB HDD from when I bought FFXI =P). Sadly, the Linux stopped being sold that was made for the PS2 ~_~.
No, it is just the 64-bit PPC version (as opposed to the 32-bit i386 version of RedHat you have). And redhat sucks, its meant for server usage (not desktop) - plus you have no support whatsoever unless you pay for it. The free, community-oriented alternative is Fedora, which you can also install on the PS3.

But why, when Gentoo totally owns all Very Happy
Because my adopted grandma's husband works for linux or soemthing. He gave me a linux penguin plushie, Red Hat Guide Book, and the software o.0. So gentoo you need to pay for ~_~, Fedora it is, Like I'll have money after the PS3 Laughing Laughing Neutral
where the hell did you get that you have to pay for Gentoo? I said you have to pay for REDHAT, not gentoo

gentoo's free dude - and so much better than everything else combined
Dunno, I guess in the middle of the RedHat sentance, I started thinking Gentoo >.<.

Gentoo then =D I should read slower Rolling Eyes Wink
I hadn't noticed a shortage of PS3s or wiis yet, but that could be because I have only been shopping a few times recently.

The other day, I went to Target to buy something (I don't remember what) and I was walking around the games section and there were several PS3s, a ton of add-ons for wiis, and I think several wii systems. I know that sometime before Christmas, there was a shortage of Nintendo DSs, but that's it.

There seem to be plenty of games and everything else also, so I can't quite imagine running out of everything wii or ps3...

Almost everyone that wants a wii (and is willing to buy it) has one, but I don't know of anyone who has bought a PS3 yet.

Maybe its just where I live, but as far as I know, there never was a shortage of PS3s or wiis (or that I haven't payed enough attention).
Oh, there has been. Around here (I live in a major city: st. louis) its impossible to find anything Wii except for games and stupid accessories (like rubber cases for the wiimote) at ANY store. My mom said she went to 14 different stores looking for a wiimote for me for christmas, until she finally said screw it (she happened to catch them stocking the shelves with them, which is how I got my second Wiimote)

Target actually had a line outside the morning that we got our second shipment, and did the whole coupon routine (handed out a coupon guaranteeing a Wii at 7am to those in line, even though the store doesn't open until 8am). The Wii's were sold out within an hour of the store opening (and this was an unannounced second shipment, mind you)

I heard a Toys R' Us got over 100 Wiis, and all were sold within minutes on launch day (midnight release, too)

It has been similar for the PS3s. There were over 40 people lined up outside when we opened on launch day - and we only had 6 PS3s. The 1 PS3 that we got UPS'd to us was sold within 15 minutes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours