In citizenship, we were told to form groups and explain what naturals rights and social contract are, without actually explaining. We have to have a presentation of some kind. Our group decided to do a dungeons and dragons campaign

Quote:
Dungeon Master: “Does everyone remember where we left off on our last adventure?”

RolePlayer1: “Yeah, we were knocked unconscious by those orc guards at the stronghold. When we woke up, we were on a strange island.”

RolePlayer2: “That's right. There were a bunch of other people there, too. They were in the same situation as us. They all claimed that the orcs took them there, as well.

Dungeon Master: “Good, good, you remember. You already looked around the island. You can tell that there is no way off of it. You may be stuck here for quite a while. What do you want to do?”

RolePlayer2: “Well, I'm going to go try to gather some food for us.”

RolePlayer1: “Wait! Don't do that, yet. Not with all of these people around. Someone might steal your food with dexterity mods like ours. There is no way for our natural rights to be protected.”

RolePlayer2: “Natural rights? I've heard of those before... What are they?”

RolePlayer1: “You know them. Life, liberty, and property. John Locke identified them as the rights that everyone needs and seeks. It doesn't matter what you believe or where you live.”

Dungeon Master: “Yeah, the natural right of life is that we should all be allowed to survive. You want to survive, don't you?”

RolePlayer2: “Yeah, of course.”

RolePlayer1: “The natural right of liberty is that we should all have freedoms. We should be able to make decisions for ourselves. You want to be free, don't you?”

RolePlayer2: “Obviously.”

Dungeon Master: “Property is where the food thing comes in. Without anyone protecting your right of property, people could come over and steal all of your stuff. Do you want your food stolen before you get a chance to eat it?”

RolePlayer2: “Of course not. You're right. We need to get our natural rights protected first.”

Dungeon Master: “How do you plan on doing that?”

RolePlayer2: “Hmm... Good question. How would we do that?”

RolePlayer1: “We need to set up a government. Then they could protect our natural rights for us.”

RolePlayer2: “How would they protect our rights?”

RolePlayer1: “We'll set up a social contract.”

RolePlayer2: “A social contract?”

Dungeon Master: “That's when you give up a little bit of your liberty to give the government power. With power, they can create and enforce laws that will protect you. According to Locke, a social contract is the best way to protect your natural rights. Oh, and speaking of natural rights, don't forget life. The orcs are back!”

RolePlayer1&2: AHHH!!!!

Hey, that's a very creative and intuitive way to explain it! Nice job, foamy.
very nice, I am starting D & D now, and from what I can tell, it shall be interesting.
I know enough about D&D to know that it's not really something I would be greatly interested in. RPGs never really caught my attention.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours