It is very Simple to convert a GVP file(Google Video). In fact, its so easy, I cant call it converting.

First download file then open file with notepad, on notepad there will be a URL, copy and Paste URL into your browser then it comes up with a dload for the avi version of the video, instead of having to use the Google Video program.

EDIT:: Nvm, this does not work, the file is avi, but it is in a differant format than avi, I will have to look into GVP converting. I will post when I find one that works, if any of you know, post it up.
It probably is an avi, but you don't have the proper codec. Rember, AVI is a container, not a format. It will probably be encoded in some variant of Mpeg-4
l'm sure that someone has succeeded in doing this before-did you JFGI?
You could just have mplayer or VLC dump the stream to a file, thats pretty easy to do...

'mplayer -dumpfile <somefile> -dumpstream <the url in the file you save>'
Sure, that works too. Imo VLC is a pretty 1337 program.
If it helps any, GV uses flash for streaming, it'd make sense to recycle that...
This was literally the *FIRST* result on Google:

http://aikaterna.livejournal.com/317.html
Hehe, nice. It's good to know that you guys were at least on the right track, though.
There's an extension for firefox that is made specifically for this. It's called Video Downloader, and it's made to let you download .avi's of youtube, googlevideo, and other video streaming sites. I can attest to it working, as I was able to grab a copy of White and Nerdy before they took it off.

Edit: Link
for google video, just choose download for iPod or PSP, you won't have to convert to play for thoses (they are mp4 though).
Interesting. Let's watch out for possible copyright violations, though; I know none of you would willingly commit copyright infractions.
KermMartian wrote:
Interesting. Let's watch out for possible copyright violations, though; I know none of you would willingly commit copyright infractions.

The way I see it is, if they let me watch it online, then it is fully my right to save that - regardless of the means used! Laughing

I do this all the time with launch.com vidoes Evil or Very Mad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours