Kllrnohj wrote:
Yeah, but I'm not that far behind you Razz (And I rarely came here when I first joined - much like you, I forgot about it for several months) However, in terms of total words, I am destroying you Cool But I must say, the linux help (and BL Slow) threads really help with that 0x5

However, I cream all of you (approximately 140 words/post).

Anyway, I suggest you add several things to the sign up proccess.
1. Add one of those completely randomly generated pictures that contains letters and you have to enter them (it is different on each attempt) correctly, or else, you can't register.

2. A pop-up message that appears after you try to sign up, saying something like "Press Exit to Continue", but the automatic selection is OK, or something similar.

3. A check button for if you are human might be good, but bots could get around that.

4. It probably wouldn't work too well, but you could make the user have to type a sample message of a length longer than that of a standard bot (doesn't matter what it is about, just the length), and reject them if they can't pass the message test.

Do any of these sound good?
b-flat wrote:
However, I cream all of you (approximately 140 words/post).

Not really, as you only have 44 posts. Lets see you keep that average over, say, 1,000 posts Wink

Quote:
Anyway, I suggest you add several things to the sign up proccess.
1. Add one of those completely randomly generated pictures that contains letters and you have to enter them (it is different on each attempt) correctly, or else, you can't register.

Uh... word verification is already a part (or it was), and is pretty standard - not too hard for a bot to get around, however

Quote:
2. A pop-up message that appears after you try to sign up, saying something like "Press Exit to Continue", but the automatic selection is OK, or something similar.

Such a method would be in javascript, and would be client side, meaning the bot spamming the site would never even "see" it, much less have to figure out how to get around it

Quote:
3. A check button for if you are human might be good, but bots could get around that.

Well sure, it isn't hard to get around, but it would require a "custom" bot, per se, not just your average phpBB-aware bot, and therein lies its true value.

Quote:
4. It probably wouldn't work too well, but you could make the user have to type a sample message of a length longer than that of a standard bot (doesn't matter what it is about, just the length), and reject them if they can't pass the message test.

Hmm... Interesting. Like the word verification, but over an entire sentence... I like it, and you would only need a handful of "random" images for the user to type (for the same reasons as the checkbox method)
Or we could have a code displayed as an image that the user has to decipher. The instructions to decipher it are also in an image Evil or Very Mad

That might be very hard to bypass, although I am not sure.
the problem with the phpbb image thing is that it is open source, so it is easy to get around. If the mod elfprince mad actually works, then we should implement it, would make sense (or something unique, but this should be priority one here).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours