I was doing stuff on my calc, but then turned it off (I think). Anyway, I set it down for about a minute, then picked it back up, and it won't turn on. I even took out the batteries and still nothing happens. I've never had a crash that didn't fix by taking out a battery and putting it back in. Can the calc crash when it's not even on? I hope I don't need to buy a new calc. This is already my second 84+SE...

pre-post edit: Before I hit 'submit' I decided to make sure that it didn't fix itself. I put the batteries back in and hit on. The screen flashed on for <1 second and went back off again.
Did you try changing the batteries? Dead batteries have a tendancy to cause battery-powered devices to stop working Very Happy
No, I didn't try changing them, but I just changed them about a month ago and I haven't really used my calc much. And I was using DCS beforehand and it said my battery was full. (but wasn't there a bug in the meters with 84s?) I just tryed some new batteries and they didn't work.
Huh... so fresh batteries didn't work either? Hmm...

Well, you can try like mashing On + clear (or whatever that key sequence is)

Or you can remove all the batteries, including the backup one in the little screw case part, and let it sit like that for a couple of minutes, put all the batteries back in, and try again
*fixed*

Okay, I took out the 4AAAs several times and put them back in several minutes later. Most of the time, the screen would flash on and go off again instantly. I then tried just mashing on+clear and I saw the cursor flash. I stared at it, and the cursor was still there in a VERY light gray. I hit 2nd+up a few times and my calc was back.

Yes, I realize this is now a complete noob topic. Sorry for your time...

Anyway, when the screen flashed on those few times, it was at usual contrast. Does the calc load the last used contrast after it displays the text when you turn it on? Or did the calc actually crash and for some reason turn my contrast down? I don't think I did that manually. I doubt it's a DCS bug, but I guess it could be... I'm pretty sure I turned the calc off normally without any problems beforehand.

Edit: It wasn't a crash. My RAM is still intact. But I still don't understand how my contrast went down...
That happened to me once but I didn't try pressing ON+CLEAR.
Thankfully, it was barely still under warranty.
I returned my first calc after about 2 weeks of use because I couldn't get it to turn on. I hope it wasn't just because of the contrast, too.
I don't know. I once had my calc where it would turn off about 1 second after you turn it on. Drove me crazy, but eventrually, on+clear got me in. Lost everything but apps from that though, but at that point, who cares. When it crashed a little later, I wiped all the memory (apps and all), and havn't had a crash since.
My 84+SE did that several time. It always seemed to be fixed by changing the batteries though... (i use rechargeables... so i figured it was their fault)
Sorry to double post, but bah... (and yes, I understand the edit button)

I'm having this very same problem. On+Clear isnt getting me anywhere, removing batteries isnt helping either. Odd thing is, when i plug the calc into my computer, the computer recognizes a new device... and it doesnt notice the removal of the device till i unplug it, though the calc is off.

TI-Connect recognizes the calc, and can try to transfer to it. In fact, it lets me select the device, but when I try to send files, i get a connection error...

Any ideas?
Sounds like a problem with your lcd, so it's turning on, but you can't see anything. Try typing some garbage and taking a screenshot.
An lcd error wouldn't explain the connection error. It might still give the error on TI screen capture. Still, try to post up a screenshot if it will take one.
foamy3 wrote:
I returned my first calc after about 2 weeks of use because I couldn't get it to turn on. I hope it wasn't just because of the contrast, too.

If you call Ti-Cares, the first thing they have you do is press 2nd+up. Then, change batteries, then press on(why is this third) then press on+clear, then take 1 battery out and hold del while putting it back in, then they ask if you have reciept, then(if no, I told them I had it replaced like 2 weeks ago and they let me Evil or Very Mad get it replaced.) they have you try pressing on+mode while putting a battery back in(I think it is to tell if you have an OS, but I dunno.) so read this and just leave the incompitent(I know I spelled this wrong, but...) 1800-Ti-Cares.
Try taking out all the batteries including the backup, waiting three hours, then put in 3 batteries (no backup batt), hold CLEAR as you put the forth one in, and press ON while still holding Clear.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours