o.0 What version of suse were you using and what are your comp specs? Its all using Linux as its core, and GNU provides all the basics... Each distro only adds a few specific things, along with varios distro-specific patches, not a whole lot, so it is highly unlikely that SUSE is noticeable slower than any other distro... (unless it was misconfigured)
It was the latest version. And my comp is a 2.8GHz Compaq Presario. IT took five hours to install and it takes Yast [...]ing forever to open up a control panel. I could traval to Japan and come back to find it just now finishing putting up the package list!
Huh, never heard that one. You might have had something in the background eating up CPU, like a search index program or something. Do you remeber if it was SUSE 10 or 9?
That is pretty bad... seriously horrible.. something must've been done wrong... and i've never had over a 2 hour install time for any distro.. (though i hear gentoo is 2 days... but that's different)
A full Gentoo install (with Gnome desktop, firefox, GAIM, xmms, etc...), took me a mere 10 hours Wink (thats all compiled, none of that newer binary install crap)... Although, I am running a dual core X2 4200+ w/ 2gb of RAM.... Laughing My old XP 2500+ took roughly 2 days, however....
CLFS takes a week to configure correctly Laughing (someone seriously needs to rewrite the documentation for that; especially the toolchain section)
It was 10.1, I think.
EDIT: It was definantly version 10.1.
Bombu wrote:
Anyone ever heard of SimplyMEPIS 6.0 or PCLinuxOS Preview 0.92

I've heard of PCLinux, but I've never touched it.
The only four linux distros I have experience with:
-Fedora Core
-Arklinux
-Ubuntu
-Gentoo
I can't recommend ArkLinux at all, I've seen it act buggy far too often. Gentoo is obviously not your distro, so scratch that. Fedora Core is slow, so not that one. You've already tried Ubuntu, so scratch that.
If you have to pick from the distros mentioned in this thread, I would recommend looking at Fedora Core or PCLinux.
I would agree. I too have attempted ArkLinux, and I couldn't even get it to install on my lappy (could be the off brand graphics though).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours