Ok, I wonder if anyone here can help out with this one.

In my moms comp, she is running XP Pro SP2, and just recently decided to upgrade to a DVD writer with Litescribe from Lite-On. She used to have a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM drive (two sperate drives). Got the new drive, removed the old ones, installed new ones (set jumpers correctly and that), booted into XP, and it was recognized. The problem is that she can not read any discs at all in the drive. The drive can burn though, and the discs are readable. We booted here comp into Knoppix with the DVD-ROM drive in also, and both drives were able to be read. So we know that it is all software in Windows. Some forums she was on said Nero can cause this, and she wiped it, along with all its entries in the registry, and still can't read. Any idea on how to fix before a reformat and reinstall.

Also, can anyone recommend a good, free burning software capable of iso files. I got the CD-RW out of this, and want to start playing with Linux a lot more now that I can?
I'm not sure about the first part of your post. That's kinda strange. Stupid Windows.

For the second part I was going to recommend Alcohol, but that's not free...so I've heard that ISO Recorder can do a decent job for free. http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

This also looks good, but I've never heard about it before: http://opensource.ebswift.com/DoISO/default.aspx
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ worked just fine burning a dsl live cd for me.
Just a shot in the dark, but its worth a try. Go to control panel->system->hardware (tab) ->device manager (button). Expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives section, right-click the DVD-RW drive that is giving you trouble and select properties. Then go to driver and hit uninstall. It'll ask you to confirm, blah, blah, blah. Then go back to the device manager, and with the DVD/CD-ROM section highlighted, click action->scan for hardware changes. It *should* re-find the DVD-RW drive, and install the drivers for it. Hopefully that'll work...
tried that already, did now work.
I'll assume you already tried forcing it to use a generic driver vs. OEM-supplied driver...

There's a certain site I use for getting drivers, maybe they'll have a different one if I can find them...
no supplied driver for drive, using Windows default.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours