Microsoft Acquires Winternals, Sysinternals

Microsoft announced this week it has acquired Winternals Software LP,
a well-known vendor of enterprise systems recovery and data
protection solutions for Windows, along with the company's associated
freeware site Sysinternals.

Read more:
http://entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=7621

I have a bad feeling about this.
I download sysinternals entire freeware list.
Please, Please, Please, Please, PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE tell me this is a joke. Crying Crying Crying
@elfprince: I might have to really quickly. BTW, this is from another one of my MCP mags. I will keep you guys updated on any of this stuff I see.

@chipmaster: I am afraid not, I don't post jokes like this.
It was on slashdot this morning.

I immediately downloaded all their freeware. Very Happy before microsoft orders them to take it down.
I already have most of it, but I guess I'll grab it all now that I know this is happening.

This is really depressing Sad

Edit: I think a lot of people are trying to do the same thing. The site is loading really slow for me.

Edit: Elfprince: How did you download it all? Clicking on each link and downloading each one will take forever (especially because the site is going at a crawl). Would it be possible for you to send me a .zip of all of the freeware files sometime?
http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2006_07_01_archive.html#115323608773604323

Sorry - no joke. This could, however, be a good thing. At least now we know there actually is SOME talent at Microsoft Laughing They did anounce that sysinternals will continue to be available and free - so quit freaking out - jeez....
http://entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=7621 wrote:
However, that does not mean that the current roster of products will remain available for sale -- at least in their current form. "We are looking to integrate the technologies and talent into Microsoft. Microsoft is currently finalizing plans on how these products and technologies can be best integrated with existing Microsoft technologies to maximize future customer value," the FAQ continued

You can see where I got the idea that they would be taking them down.
Chipmaster wrote:
You can see where I got the idea that they would be taking them down.

From Mark's blog:

Quote:
So what’s going to happen to Winternals and Sysinternals? Microsoft is still evaluating the best way to leverage the many different technologies that have been developed by Winternals. Some will find their ways into existing Microsoft products or Windows itself and others will continue on as Microsoft-branded products. As for Sysinternals, the site will remain for the time being while Microsoft determines the best way to integrate it into its own community efforts, and the tools will continue to be free to download.

Microsoft has nothing to gain (and much to lose) if they suddenly pull all those tools. Especially since all of those tools do something GOOD for windows.... Wink What I'm guessing will happen is that the source ends up being placed as examples over at msdn.net
Chipmaster wrote:
I already have most of it, but I guess I'll grab it all now that I know this is happening.

This is really depressing Sad

Edit: I think a lot of people are trying to do the same thing. The site is loading really slow for me.

Edit: Elfprince: How did you download it all? Clicking on each link and downloading each one will take forever (especially because the site is going at a crawl). Would it be possible for you to send me a .zip of all of the freeware files sometime?

one link at a time, using a tabbed browser. load one category, and ctrl-click down the page. some stuff is in more than one category and all the Process programs can also be downloaded in a pack so its only 30ish files.
Still, that's one heck of a downloading spree. I guess I won't bother unless they decide to do away with them, which Kllrnohj seems convinced that they won't. Smile
Chipmaster wrote:
Still, that's one heck of a downloading spree. I guess I won't bother unless they decide to do away with them, which Kllrnohj seems convinced that they won't. Smile

I dont think there will be much warning if they do....yay for limewire.
elfprince13 wrote:
one link at a time, using a tabbed browser. load one category, and ctrl-click down the page. some stuff is in more than one category and all the Process programs can also be downloaded in a pack so its only 30ish files.

You can also just middle-click to open a new tab in the background (same as ctrl-click), and you can middle-click a tab to close it
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

You can also just middle-click to open a new tab in the background (same as ctrl-click), and you can middle-click a tab to close it
Yup, I middle click with a mouse, or ctrl-click if I'm on a touchpad. Makes life so much easier than right click, open in new tab. Laughing

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours