A froogle search returned some, but they were all ASUS boards. I'd just surmise that other manufacturers are waiting until people can actually buy the processors before distributing the boards.
$100? Somehow I doubt that...
Well, there were a couple AsRock boards for that much, but they weren't too good. All the ASUS ones were ~200 dolla.
Edit: ah, here's a nice one: the ASUS 570 SLI, due out on the 25th, 110 dollars.
OK, that sounds more reasonable for a new technology.
KermMartian wrote:
OK, that sounds more reasonable for a new technology.

Its not new technology. The Core 2 duo, if I heard correctly, will use the same ol' LGA socket that the current P4s use. You don't need a special Core 2 Duo mobo, as most (if not all) P4 mobos can run Core 2 Duos
Shock How can that be? I would assume it would need different mobo architecture.
KermMartian wrote:
Shock How can that be? I would assume it would need different mobo architecture.

You assumed wrong Razz

AMD used the Socket A for years and years, and for many different CPU architectures. It is highly possible, its just that its a problem now for AMD due to the intergrated memory controllers (which intel's chips lack)
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

You assumed wrong Razz

AMD used the Socket A for years and years, and for many different CPU architectures. It is highly possible, its just that its a problem now for AMD due to the intergrated memory controllers (which intel's chips lack)

And yet, he's still right. Although the Core 2 processors still use LGA775, they require a new northbridge that is compatible with the PECI (Platform Environment Control Interface) interface, which requires a manager component of some sort, which the older P4 mobos don't have. The upshot of this is that it won't boot without a PECI manager.
The Tari wrote:
And yet, he's still right. Although the Core 2 processors still use LGA775, they require a new northbridge that is compatible with the PECI (Platform Environment Control Interface) interface, which requires a manager component of some sort, which the older P4 mobos don't have. The upshot of this is that it won't boot without a PECI manager.
Quote:
The processors should be compatible with a number of chipsets, including the enthusiast-class 975X and the upcoming 965-series mainstream chipsets from Intel. NVIDIA's nForce4 SLI X16 Intel Edition should work, too, as well as the yet-to-be-released nForce 500 series for Intel. In fact, the Core 2 can act as a drop-in replacement for a Pentium D or Pentium Extreme Edition, provided that the motherboard is capable of supplying the lower voltages that Core 2 processors require.

That is pretty much a bulk of the enthusiast motherboards Rolling Eyes
Hmm... interesting. Where's that from?
I too would be interested to know the source of that quote. If you think about it logically, it seems really weird to think that Core 2's would operate fine on any old run-of-the-mill P4 Prescott etc mobo.
that was from techreport.com

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours