This morning I installed Fedora Core 5 (to test it, see how it would run)...

Now, GRUB boot loader only sees the Recovery partition system, and Fedora core, and cannot identify the other partitions. They still exist, but GRUB can't see them...

Can someone please help me?
Uhoh, that's no good. Shock [BTW, jpez made that limit]
Did you screw around with the boot flags during the install? I don't really know what else could be wrong...
I had something go really odd to when I had FC4 put on my comp. GRUB, as far as I know, can't handle no-Linux logical drives. That could be one of your problems. If all else fails, you could do like I have, use the NT loader for Windows, and have it load GRUB when you want Linux.
I have Windows XP and Ubuntu Linux. Grub handles the two perfectly.
I fixed it... turns out the FC installer automatically configures GRUB to only show FC and the second partition on the drive...

I just reinstalled FC and set it up with a custom GRUB conf, now it works great...
Glad you got that fixed.
alex10819: Awesome, good to hear. That's a relief. Smile
Just so you know, GRUB won't ever scan for other partitions, its the distros install job to set up all the proper partitions and scan for other OSes. GRUB just presents the choices in /boot/grub/grub.conf - it doesn't even check they are valid until you attempt to boot to it.

So as you found out, a simple editing of the grub.conf file will give you back your other OS/partition choices
Indeed. I discovered that when I was messing around with Gentoo.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours