lafferjm wrote:
its the same with me chipmaster but if I get ahold of a good book I will read it for a long time with breaks for meals and bathroom.
Definitely. Or sometimes I forget about those two things if I'm really absorbed in a book. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Or sometimes I forget about those two things if I'm really absorbed in a book. Very Happy
As do I Laughing . When I read a good book, I tend to get absorbed in it for hours, but I still wish I could read as fast as you guys. Then I'd finish in a third of the time and have time for other stuff...such as programming Very Happy
I'm reading books on programming. I just went to the library today and found this nice book on Perl. I like the syntax for Perl. I'm not real big on reading fiction books. I mostly read nonfiction.
Chipmaster wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Or sometimes I forget about those two things if I'm really absorbed in a book. Very Happy
As do I Laughing . When I read a good book, I tend to get absorbed in it for hours, but I still wish I could read as fast as you guys. Then I'd finish in a third of the time and have time for other stuff...such as programming Very Happy
Heh, or procrastinating and worrying, which is what I usually do. Oh, or think of three more projects I want to start. Laughing
I also really enjoy reading a lot of science fiction and fantasy books. The Star Wars series I really enjoyed, as well as a lot of Orson scott card's books, and Charles Scheffield's books.

At one of the other schools in my school district, the students were reading Ender's Game for english class. I wish my teachers would use science fiction books.

I usually read the summer reading books, then choose the option of commenting on what I thought of the reading list. I always rip it apart with a very long essay that goes through all the reasons why the reading list should be completely redone. I mean, are teachers trying to make students think that reading is a boring waste of time? They should have fun to read books(like ender's game, that won the hugo and nebula awards) on the list, so that students see that reading can be fun, then they may start to read on their own, which will most likely lead to higher english grades and SAT scores. More difficult, less fun books can be tackled in class.

yeah, like that, for 5 pages. My essays are always way to long. Once for the "write a letter to your next year english teacher" I wrote a 14 page essay that detailed the entire history of my reading, including titles, series, general trends, along with my hobbies, my talents, thoughts on english class, ...

My english teacher that I had the year I wrote that was retiring after over 30 years of teaching. He said it was the longest one he had ever seen. Very Happy
Welcome to Cemetech, CompWiz! Yeah, I too am a fan of SciFi, although less so of fantasy.
Quote:
You mean that people thought you were a senior when you were a freshman? That's almost unbelievable... Rolling Eyes

Well you have to remember, with my build, character, and body/facial hair, I didn't exactly look 14 Laughing </offtopic>

As for reading, I personally don't pick up a novel and start reading it; the only books I read are textbooks assigned to me and manga (and occasionally a book that I might find interesting, although it's rare for me to find a book that I'll read through without stopping because of a lack of interest)
I'm not worrying about summer reading for school right now. Honestly, I have no idea which HS I'm going to attend next year... Evil or Very Mad I just read the assigned books the first week of school anyway.
This week I had to pick up several assignments outside of English that have to be completed over the summer. It's one of the consequences of taking an AP dominated schedule. *sigh*
The only reading that I have planned for this summer is Terry Goodkind's newest book, which comes out July 18th, I believe, and o course the php learnin book...
I'll probably end up reading the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" another 5 times this summer. Very Happy
which would total 25 books ^^

I highly suggest reading the Ender's Game quartet, the Shadow Quartet, and "First Meeting's" all of which are by Orson Scott Card.
elfprince13 wrote:
which would total 25 books ^^

I highly suggest reading the Ender's Game quartet, the Shadow Quartet, and "First Meeting's" all of which are by Orson Scott Card.
Done done done and done already. Smile Gimme some more scifi, I guarantee I've read it. Every Ben Bova? Of course. Every Arthur C. Clarke? Hell yeah. etc...
CS Lewis's Space Trilogy?
But of course! Have you read The Salmon of Doubt and the other Dirk Gently books by Adams?
no. have you read all the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov?--the original 5 plus the 2 prequels?
Absolutely. And I read the original 5 twice for good measure. Smile
I've read all of the Asimov books, oh, and I read all of Philip a too.
well i finished reading the second book about a week ago. it was like 100 times better than The Grapes of Wrath. it was called Left For Dead. now i just have to do the projects which shouldnt take but two or three weeks.
Hmmm, never read that one. Sounds like an interesting read though, what exactly is it about?
it is a non-fiction book about a kid who tries to clear the captain of the uss indianapolis name. he clears the captains name because the captain was falsley court martialed and so the navy forever blamed him for the sinking but it wasnt his falt. it was the falt of the japanese sub. and because he sets out to clear the captain's name all the sailors help him and give him evidence and stuff like that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours