Ok, I'm trying to learn BASIC. But where to go..... I want to make an RPG. Maybe something like Reuben Quest? I have an 84+ SE, if that helps any.

(By BASIC, I mean TI BASIC!!!!!)
http://tifreakware.calcgames.org/tutorials/

On there you will find several tutorials. Mine currently arent on there though, since I need to go through and rewrite them. You should be able to get alot of information by viewing KermMartian's BASIC Tutor, and learn alot of advanced tips and tricks by reading some of the others.

And of course, for some other cool tips, check out http://z4.invisionfree.com/TIFreakware/index.php?showforum=60

Just experiment from what you see there, and if you have any questions, please feel free to post them, and we will do our best to help you out.
otherwise, you can look at ticalc.org, there is some good stuff there.
Also try http://www.cemetech.net/projects/btutor
me, from the second post wrote:
...You should be able to get alot of information by viewing KermMartian's BASIC Tutor...

I pointed him to your tutorial, just not on your site. Wink

Speaking of which, it still has not made it up on ticalc.org... I wonder if they are just being lazy...
I would also recommend the TI instruction manual (comes with calc for most models); although it's not as concise as other tutorials, it's much more portable.
Indeed it is. However, I find that it works best as a command reference, not an actual tutorial. It's great for command syntax and such, but it's less optimal for learning the language from scratch.
Thanks, I've always wanted to learn TI BASIC. The best I've done with BASIC in the past was to make a guessing game with random numbers. But I've always wanted to make a game like The Verdante Forest or Reuben Quest in BASIC. Of course, I still got a lot of planning to do... >_< Oh well, all in good time, I suppose.
Quote:
The Verdante Forest or Reuben Quest in BASIC

Quote:
I still got a lot of planning to do... >_<

Understatement of the day. Good luck. Smile
What makes the Verdante Forest and Reuben Quest so amazing is not that they're particularly "good" coding (although they are). It's that they utilize an ASM lib, xlib, that allows grayscale, more powerful object drawing. etc.
Which takes just as much skill to implement effectively as hard coding.
Well if you want to make games like that, you should get xlib and read the xlib readme to learn how to use xlib. First, read some tutorials. Next, become fluent in BASIC. Finally, start programming in xlib. By the way, I like your sig. Very Happy
Kuro wrote:
Which takes just as much skill to implement effectively as hard coding.
Oh, no doubt. I have nothing but respect for Kevin.
So I'm thinking too big? Alright, I guess I'll try pure TI BASIC first.... And wasn't The Verdante Forest an ASM game? If it wasn't, then Shock .
It was

But that's not to say epic RPGs aren't possible in ti basic.
To make epic RPGs in BASIC, you'll need some Assembly library, such as xlib.
I guess I can hold off on Reuben Quest until later.... for now, I'll try to learn about points and such. Learn the basics first, that's what I'm going to do.
Its pretty easy to learn the basics, I learned out of shear boredom and experimenting (its Basic for heaven sakes!), but learning a few advanced things will take a while, but overall its pretty easy Wink . Epic RPG's will have to wait though Laughing .
Yeah, epic RPGs are not possible for me right now. Definitely not. Neutral
As you start to get the basics down, I recommend you read The 1337 Guide to BASIC to ensureit you get into good coding habits early.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours