thats what I thought. I only use BIOS when reffering to PCs, otherwise it is firmware
BIOS = Basic Input Output System (for those who didn't know what BIOS stood for)

It is basically just a software <-> hardware link. It doesn't actually DO anything, other than simple hardware checks, and then launching whatever is in the MBR (master boot record) of the primary device

Firmware, on the other hand, not only includes a BIOS-like system (The new Intel Macs, for example, do not have a BIOS at all, but rather use the newer EFI, so it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be a BIOS), but also an operating system and applications. Your router, for example, has a firmware. If it just had a BIOS-like system, it would be pretty worthless as all it would do is verify the hardware was OK. The firmware is what actually allows connections, is the DHCP server, etc... Or, for the PSP, allows you to go online, view photos, play music, watch videos, et al.

Hopefully that clears things up for some people Wink
yeah it does, and my head was mostly straight (btw, speaking of router firmware, WRT54G rocks!)
Kllrnohj wrote:
[[Long post]]
Ah, that clears it up quite well. Thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours