I have the .g3a file and how can I rename the name that is shown in the menu screen, I have tried to edit it using the hex editor in vs code, but it ended up breaking the add-in, where it would just show a white screen with a loading bar at top right.

I have tried to change the hex values representing names here: https://prizm.cemetech.net/G3A_File_Format/

Thanks in advance! Very Happy
Hmm... seems like the g3a file, has a checksum at the header which thinks that the add-in is corrupted as I am changing the hex code and not compiling it again... this is probably why it is not running.
Not really sure how to remove the checksum, might try to just set it to 0, anyone know how?
dug a little bit more... and found this that proves what I said in another post

"If you want to edit binary files, use a Hex Editor. Do note that if you edit the .8x file with a hex editor, you would still have to modify the internal checksum, which is used to test if the file is "corrupted""

found this solution in the corresponding post
"A checksum is a sum of all the "data" bytes modulated by 0xFFFF. When editing files, if you remove a byte in the data, subtract the bytes value from the checksum, if you add a byte, add the byte's value to the checksum."

going to try this now by changing a single letter such as "a" to "b" and then adding the checksum by 1, if I understand the solution above correctly...
MichaelY wrote:
dug a little bit more... and found this that proves what I said in another post

"If you want to edit binary files, use a Hex Editor. Do note that if you edit the .8x file with a hex editor, you would still have to modify the internal checksum, which is used to test if the file is "corrupted""

found this solution in the corresponding post
"A checksum is a sum of all the "data" bytes modulated by 0xFFFF. When editing files, if you remove a byte in the data, subtract the bytes value from the checksum, if you add a byte, add the byte's value to the checksum."

going to try this now by changing a single letter such as "a" to "b" and then adding the checksum by 1, if I understand the solution above correctly...

I believe that post was talking about 8xp/8xv files for TI calculators, so it won't apply to g3a files, which use a different format.
This just feels so rewarding... which is why I like doing low-level programming so much more
Basically, the checksum does work once you add 1, when you are changing the hex code by 1.
Going to try and do it with more characters now Smile
commandblockguy, it seems like the checksum method of both the calculators are the same, thank god lol

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours