Hello all, I wanted to ask:How can i convert .asm files to .8xp files?

I've searched some info on the internet, and they suggested me to use devpac8x. That does not work on my pc cause it's 64-bit. Is there another way to convert? I have converted a few songs into asm with the MobileTunes Converter but i got stuck by the converting part.

Excuse me if i am posting this in the wrong thread.
You should use the Doors CS SDK, which is set up to work on modern 64-bit operating systems. It uses Brass, an assembler and linker by the inimitable Ben Ryves, rather than the dated TASM and DevPac8x. You can grab the Doors CS SDK here:

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/341/34192.html
Another option is spasm. Just run "spasm filename.z80 output.8xp" in the terminal/command-prompt thing and you're good to go. And it's tiny!

No one really uses TASM/Devpac anymore. I think they still do work through DOSBox, though.
When I type in "spasm program1.asm program.8xp" into terminal I get the error "-bash: spasm: command not found". Not sure what the issue is, what's going on?
I actually suggest using Brass. It works for 64-bit computers. You have to add the line

Code:
.binarymode TI8X

For it to assemble to an 8xp file, at least for sure in Brass.
Is SPASM in the same directory as the file that you are trying to compile? (I like SPASM) Razz

And hey, welcome to Cemetech! Smile
Yes, SPASM is in the same folder as the file I am trying to compile. My computer recognizes it as a document, is that the problem. I am on a mac by the way. The whole point is for me to write programs in Assembly, compile them with SPASM, and then load them onto Wabbitemu and then possibly my calculator. I don't have much experience, and not being able to double check to see if my programs are working is tough.
I'm willing to use Brass as well, does it work on a mac?
since it tells me that the spasm command is not found, I assume the problem is with the SPASM file I downloaded - but I haven't touched it so that can't be it. Is there something I need to type in front of spasm so that it recognizes it as a command?
I believe Brass works on Mac, but just type in

Code:
.binarymode TI8X

into the code then to assemble, type in the Command Prompt:

Code:
For Spasm: spasm source.asm
For Brass: brass source.asm

You don't need to include the last bit.
Brass is indeed an alternative option. It does have a whole host of nice features. I would give it a try, and if you find that it works, go for it! Smile
Did you download the Mac version of spasm? You might be interested in WabbitStudio/WabbitCode (z80 assembly IDE) for Mac:
https://github.com/willbur1984/WabbitStudio

There's an older pre-compiled version available here:
http://wabbit.codeplex.com/releases/view/76388

EDIT: Also, if you did download the Mac version, it might be similar to Linux where you'd type ./spasm program.asm program.8xp to signal that the file you are trying to run is in the current directory.
howdosheeplamp wrote:
Yes, SPASM is in the same folder as the file I am trying to compile.
You probably have it set up so that you have to explicitly say you're running a program in the current folder. Try this:

Code:
./spasm program1.asm program.8xp
Thanks! It worked. Smile
Does this work for the TI-84+CSE as well? If not, why not? And if so, what are the main differences in code, if any? Thanks again.

Edit: and if I'm using Doors 8.0, do I even need to convert it to .8xp or can I just run it as a .asm?
howdosheeplamp wrote:
Does this work for the TI-84+CSE as well? If not, why not? And if so, what are the main differences in code, if any? Thanks again.

Edit: and if I'm using Doors 8.0, do I even need to convert it to .8xp or can I just run it as a .asm?
I merged your posts together: in the future, please avoid double-posting (replying to yourself within 24 hours). You should be able to use SPASM or Brass exactly the same way for the TI-84+CSE, although the bcall equates, memory areas, and various hardware features like the LCD are a little different in TI-84+CSE assembly. Let us know if you need any help with that. Smile
Hey, im new in this topic and i was also trying to convert the .asm to .8xp using spam with a .bat, but when running the .bat i get an error that says something like "System can not find the specified path", even tho the file names are all correct and so the location of the .asm. Any idea what's happening?
It sounds like you're either misunderstanding the source of an error or are wrong that all your paths and filenames are correct, but you'll need to share exactly what you're trying to run and its actual output for us to be able to provide any useful assistance.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours