I use Chrome OS to send stuff to my calc and ti-connect for Chrome OS doesn't like protected programs. I want to use source coder to unprotect programs but for some reason, I can't even load them, it gives this error when I am trying to upload cesium: Error: Unable to load cesium.8xp. Are you sure it's a valid file type?
More Information: CESIUM: Detokenization process failed at ...0xef, 0x7b, ...Previous context was: (backtrack was [239,123])
Cesium is an assembly program, which means that it's not a valid stream of TI-BASIC tokens like BASIC programs are, so SourceCoder can't load them.

I'm not sure if there's an existing tool that supports un-protecting programs, though it probably wouldn't be too hard to make one using tivars_lib_py or tivars_lib_cpp.

You could also fix the "bug" preventing protected programs from being opened by following these steps.
Pretty sure with a hex editor you can change the typeid at offset 3Bh from 06h to 05h and it will unprotect the program. EDIT: Thanks to commandz for reminding me, the checksum (so the last 2 bytes of the file) will need to be updated to FAh, ECh as well ... or you can copy the file to CEmu and it will give a warning but fix it when you export it again Smile.

I just used XVI32 to test just now and it appears to work ok, if that's something you have access to?
No not really as I am using chrome is not windows and I am not able to use developer mode on the extension due to a managed Chromebook is there another way?
Can you upload files at all - what about trying somewhere like: https://hexed.it/

I can confirm that I am able to upload, edit and redownload the program as needed on my PC.

Here's a screenshot for editing: (click on thumbnail).
I can upload files to hexed.it and edit and download them but I am confused on your instructions how to unprotect it
Per the video:

1. Change the 06 at the offset he clicks to 05
  2. Subtract 1 from the hexadecimal checksum at the end of the file (FB -> FA, in this case).
It know loads to the calculator but it doesn't work it shows a flash of a battery low screen then something else then it says validating os and ram cleared
Try https://ticalc.link . It's an online link service.
urmum345 wrote:
It know loads to the calculator but it doesn't work it shows a flash of a battery low screen then something else then it says validating os and ram cleared

Make sure to fully reset your calculator using [2nd][+] menu and charge your calculator.
The link service doesn't work and my calculator is fully charged. it is a glitch calculator screen not a real one
urmum345 wrote:
The link service doesn't work and my calculator is fully charged. it is a glitch calculator screen not a real one

Ah... this is easy to fix.

Step one: login to your chrome book and follow these steps: https://youtu.be/oib3LM7Qtm0?si=dQ4FImOs6gN5eFnR&t=10

Step two: Use a computer that ACTUALLY supports Ti Connect CE.

Your welcome. Very Happy
Commented_Newline wrote:
Step two: Use a computer that ACTUALLY supports Ti Connect CE.

TI-Connect CE is supported on Chromebooks, but TI deliberately made it so that you can't transfer ASM programs using it. It sucks, which is why it has a rating of 2 stars. The only calculator it supports is the TI-84 Plus CE, so just use ticalc.link instead.

If you have renamed your TI-84 Plus CE for some reason, which I did, you are completely out of luck. The only ways to get it to work are:
1. Use the trick mentioned above to send Cesium to your calculator. You would have to use TI-Connect CE for this.
2. Force ticalc.link to treat your calculator like a TI-84 Plus CE by downloading the source code and bypassing the device check. Although this is more difficult, it doesn't require your admin to whitelist TI-Connect CE.

If you want to transfer apps and/or OS updates, like Cabri Jr, you have to use TI-Connect CE for Chrome OS.
urmum345 wrote:

And did you actually fully reset your calculator including archive and ram memories?
I have fully reset my calculator and ticalc.net doesn't work for me even though I haven't renamed my calculator. I can't open Cesium with the hex editor trick as it doesn't run. it flashes a "static" screen for a millisecond and then it restarts
What OS version are you running? Also what version of Cesium are you trying to run?
Yes good point, please note that the instructions are for https://github.com/mateoconlechuga/cesium/releases/tag/v3.6.5

Though the procedure would work for any version so long as you subtract 1 from the checksum at the end.

For the video instructions:
Go to https://hexed.it/
Open cesium.8xp
Click on the '06' that I do in the video and confirm that the address you've clicked on shows 0x0000003B in the top right (mouse moves there so you can see)
Change this value to '05' and it should highlight orange (same as in the video)
Scroll down to the bottom of the page
Change the checksum value at 0x0000346F to 'FA' and is should also highlight orange
Save As your file
Upload to your calculator

Depending on your OS version you may need to use the artifice jailbreak to run it.
I am on calculator version 5.8.0.0022 and trying to install Cesium version 3.6.5. I have Artiface installed. I will try to repeat the steps to unprot the program again and I'll report back here.
I have tried to follow the steps exactly again and it gets stuck on sending file in ti connect ce and i eventually stop it manually by quitting the program. Then when I look on the calculator for cesium and launch it that is when it flashes 2 screens for a millisecond and then says ram cleared.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours