So I like Travis Fischer's Bomberman. It is the best one around if you want accuracy to the NES game.

But... It's got some quirks.

There's a Bomb limit not present on the original, the levels are slow to generate (maybe this isn't a code issue but I popped it in anyways) and I wanted to add a title screen but don't know how without recalling a PIC file (clunky and messy)

So... How can we do this?
I managed to remove the bomb limit but I don't think (aside from bombs normally running out) it gets any harder ever. The guy doesn't move faster (I don't think he does, at least, maybe he does.)

I'm sorry if this is against anything, because I am trying to modify an existing program, but help me out here! What lines where and how? I know 0 about TI basic, lol. I know a few things, but not enough for this.

(And yes, Travis, if you are here, I will credit you!)
Edit: LogicalJoe kindly noticed that I was mistaking Travis's Bomberman for a classic TI-82/TI-83 assembly version of the game that included link play.

Since the 2004 game in question is a TI-BASIC game, you can indeed modify it. Do you have any experience programming in TI-BASIC? In general, it's possible to read the code and build a mental model of how it works, including what variables are used for what values/tasks, what sections of the programs are for what functionality, etc. And generally modifying an existing program to tweak how it works is easier than building a new program from scratch, and easier the simpler the modification. You could, for example, open this program in SourceCoder 3 to see more of the program at a time than you can on your calculator's screen, and edit there.

On the non-technical side, I strongly suggest you try to track down and email Travis and get his permission to update the game. If you don't succeed, I'd consider it ethical to modify it for your own use, but I don't recommend you publish the modified version.
Quote:
Since the 2004 game in question is a TI-BASIC game, you can indeed modify it. Do you have any experience programming in TI-BASIC? In general, it's possible to read the code and build a mental model of how it works, including what variables are used for what values/tasks, what sections of the programs are for what functionality, etc. And generally modifying an existing program to tweak how it works is easier than building a new program from scratch, and easier the simpler the modification. You could, for example, open this program in SourceCoder 3 to see more of the program at a time than you can on your calculator's screen, and edit there.

On the non-technical side, I strongly suggest you try to track down and email Travis and get his permission to update the game. If you don't succeed, I'd consider it ethical to modify it for your own use, but I don't recommend you publish the modified version.

I actually used the SourceCoder to change the Bombs limit, which succeeded, but I figured I'd better come here first for both advice on how to do this and if I even should. I could read enough to know loosely what the stuff did roughly. Like If bomb count is 30, hunt the line that involves adding 30 to a variable, then use that info to trace the scripting that plants bombs and lowers remaining bomb count, and change the line that subtracts 1 to subtract.. Zip! Nada! 0!

Also, before I bother Travis, How would one embed a PIC like file without a PIC call?
This allows the new ultra Bomberman thing mess to not be obtrusive to the other games on a machine. Would you like the .PIC?

Also there NEEDS to be a CE Bomberman. I cant find any but Boom, and that's no one player adventure, and that's also Doom Bomberman. Should I maybe focus my effort to that instead of editing this old one?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours