There's a forum for the casio prizm, but no forum for the fx-9750giii and other similar calculators, such as the fx-9860 and other fx-9750 models.

Programs for these calculators can be written in:
-Basic
-Python (fx-9750giii and fx-9860giii only)
-C (I think)

Edit: It would also be nice to have a topic for the fxSDK, which is currently the only way to write software for the casio fx calculators.
The existing forum is labelled "Prizm/FX" so it seems fine as-is but perhaps the wording could be improved slightly.

I've changed the title to simply be for "Casio" and tweaked the description to be a little clearer.
That could maybe attract a few extra users I guess, although the language barrier might be an issue. I myself got a FX-9860G with no Python and no more OS updates but it can still run a few recent releases without rebooting and unlike HP 48G games ran on a 49G+/50G the grayscale doesn't flicker like mad.

I also got a few older calculators like the fx-9750g+ and CFX-9940GT (which has a color screen) that can run BASIC programs but much slower.
Also, to answer the question about C, Casio released some SDKs to make custom apps on most fx models, although it might take a long time to find it, as it’s probably stored in a pretty obscure place. I’ve taken extra time this break to try to figure out how it all works, so some 9750giii programs are definitely forthcoming.
I've started work on some C programs, I managed to get fxsdk/gint working, and I wrote a small demo.

I'm working on a simple breakout game next.
Where did you find the toolchain? Could you please post the link? I’ve heard some rumors about it, but never managed to find it.
Here's the links:

https://gitea.planet-casio.com/Lephenixnoir/gint
https://gitea.planet-casio.com/Lephenixnoir/fxsdk

It's a little tricky to get working. You'll need an ubuntu environment (or probably some other linux will work fine as well, I just haven't tested it)
If you're on windows the simplest would probably be to use Windows Subsystem for Linux, which lets you use linux like any other ordinary desktop application. After you have that installed you'll want to run something like this on the ubuntu machine:

Code:

curl 'https://gitea.planet-casio.com/Lephenixnoir/GiteaPC/src/branch/master/install.sh' | bash

(yes, yes, curl to bash, I know)
This installs a tool called giteapc, which makes it way easier to install the sdk
after you've done this, you'll need to restart your terminal, because that line has changed your $PATH, so you need to reload your .profile

Code:

apt install python3-pil libusb-1.0-0-dev libudisks2-dev libsdl2-dev
giteapc install Lephenixnoir/sh-elf-gcc
giteapc install Lephenixnoir/fxsdk
giteapc install Lephenixnoir/gint

This uses apt to install the build dependencies, then uses giteapc to install, respectively
- The cross compilation toolchain (This will take a while, because you're building the gcc toolchain from source)
- The casio-fx toolchain
- The standard library for the casio-fx

Once you've done this, you should take a look at the READMEs for the fxsdk and gint projects: They tell you how to get started.
For information about what you can do with gint, the best place to look is actually the gint header files. (They're under include/gint in the git repository)
Oh yeah, could there also be a section of the archives for fx programs?
Thanks for sharing the toolchain here! I'm the author/developer of gint, and I'd be happy to help.

I've put off formally sharing the fxSDK here until now, because I felt that everyone was still using the PrizmSDK and didn't think there would be much interest. But it makes sense to use it on the G-III series since the official fx-9860G SDK is now way old and has compatibility issues. I'll try and create an official topic in the coming days. ^^

All of the important resources are currently on Planète Casio, some in French. You can auto-translate them pretty faithfully (I might suggest DeepL) or I can help directly here.

The installation takes a bit of work (despite my best efforts to make it straightforward), but I believe the support/libraries available once it's running are worth it.
Thanks! Hopefully my quick start guide is accurate. I've never used WSL (I just run linux), so I don't know what the process is, but everything other than that was what I ended up doing to get it working on my machine. The only part that didn't make sense was the dependency on libsdl2-dev. It wasn't mentioned in any of the READMEs, and I don't know what it's used for. does fxsdk have a graphical interface?
WSL is fairly straightforward, you just do as if you're using Linux and everything works well. Props to Microsoft for that. Mac OS is a different beast, it's also supported but there are still quirks!

The fxSDK has a ccommunication tool called fxlink. fxlink can be used to send files to G-III and fx-CG machines by mounting them, copying files, and unmounting them from the command-line. And its other function is to do real-time communication with gint's USB driver. This is mainly used to take screenshots and video recordings of add-ins. SDL2 is used by fxlink to display video recordings in real-time (I haven't looked at saving actual video files yet so you just record the window).
Ah, interesting. I haven't used the fxlink capability of fxsdk yet, I've just been dragging the files onto my calculator. Since I'm using linux, there's no official software for the casio calculators, and I'm just using it as a USB mass storage device. I didn't know fxlink was so capable!
It's mostly a convenience to be honest. Copying files with the file browser is annoying for me, especially since the Fugue filesystem is slow. It's more practical to have [fxlink -sw whatever.g1a] run after the compilation step and leave it to work in the background.
Speaking of convenience, do you know any good fx-9750giii emulators that are free? It would make the development process a lot easier
CASIO's official emulator is nice; some recent topics on Cemetech might help you keep it for long periods.

There aren't any others, and while I think it would be possible to make one either from QEMU or from scratch, it's too much work for any of the competent enough people I know to actually do it. Transferring on the G-III is kind of slow, but you can overclock and it remains fairly accessible... I personally just deal with it
99cows99, have you made any programs that are finished enough to be ready to share with me, so I can kind of learn how all the things work? Also, I am on MacOS, so how would I get the toolchain to work for me?
I've made a simple demo program, you could try that out. As far as getting the toolchain to work on macos, you'd have to ask Lephe about that, as I don't have a mac.

http://ceme.tech/DL2230
To install on Mac OS you should refer to the tutoriel here (only the first 3 sections are needed) and the latest Mac OS-specific info here.

I apologize that there's no English version yet (I'll make one when I have an official topic on Cemetech); in the meantime, I pasted both into DeepL and I promise it's as good as what I'd write it manually.
Quote:
I'll make one when I have an official topic on cemetech

What do you mean? A topic for the fx-9xxx calculators, or a topic for fxsdk?
A topic for the fxSDK. Since it's been (as far as I'm aware) the only maintained native programming option for the fx series for some years now, I think it makes sense to have the important resources available in English here. ^^

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours