Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
commandblockguy wrote:
Search pages can show up as results for search pages.
Actually, the search is pretty terrible in general. Try searching for "ranks". You end up finding a search for all posts by PT_, but not the topic I was looking for ("Ranks? how to get them and how much to the next rank"). I literally had to copy the exact name into the search bar before I found it. Also, the search shows 4 pages, but 3 and 4 show a "no results" page.


Alex wrote:
Search isn't ran via phpBB anymore, it's done through Google. Which is why it's the only part of the site with ads. So, you'd have better luck asking Google. :/


MateoConLechuga wrote:
Adding to that; I think that making the site actually user friendly would be nice Razz When I click on 'Forum' there's just a huge page that has literally nothing I'm looking for if I have a simple question; which rather off putting. There is no way to just make a topic and assign it a tag; like how stack overflow does. Not by forcing users to assign tags; but rather creating a database which classifies topics under tags. Then admins can add tags if users require it. This creates a much better indexing system and finding topics hundreds of times easier than hoping the search bar can actually find what I am looking for.


Dropping this here as well in the hopes that notice is taken on the fact that an integral part of the site is basically unusable.
This is a bit meta, but before I post this, this topic shows 42 pages of posts in the new posts page, but if I click on the page number 42, I get this:



I've seen this happen before, and I'm not sure what exactly causes it to happen, but one thing's for sure, that message is incorrect/misleading because there are definitely posts that exist for this topic Razz
Can't replicate.

It happens to me too. It might be Chrome, it never happens to me when I use Safari, though.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
It happens to me too. It might be Chrome, it never happens to me when I use Safari, though.


This issue has been reported so many times. It's not a browser bug and definitely server side. We can't track it down but suspect it has to do with how phpBB handles topics with hundreds of replies. At the time of Womp Womps post, this topic had 820 replies. Or, 41 pages of replies. However, phpBB doesn't include the OP in the reply count. So there was really 821 posts which would have pushed us into 42 pages. However, the correct last post is on page 41 Question

So, somewhere along the lines phpBB is counting the correct number of pages for the amount of posts but then erring out that there are no posts for the same topic. Which is why we suspect it's a high reply count thing. It also doesn't happen every time there's a new page which makes it pretty hard to track down and a fairly low priority; if it happened with every new page we'd probably spend more of our free time tracking it down. Smile

Here's a bug report:


I went to bed around 10:30 last night. However, Cemetech says I was online at 1:33am this morning. At first I thought it was a timezone thing, since 3 hours from 10:30pm is 1:30am the next day. But, the current time is correct. As it *was* 7:12am for me when I took the screen shot.

So, I suspect the users timezone isn't factored into the last visit time. Which possibly means my last visit could be in the future!

Quick Edit, it happened. I logged in via another browser and was able to visit 3 seconds into the future and note that this time is correct. So, idk. I was able to refresh on my main browser and see the correct time. Though improbable if not impossible, I guess at some point my computer refreshed my browsers' tabs while it, and I, was sleep? Which doesn't make sense because text fields in other tabs aren't affected.
When you view a webpage, "pings" are sent occasionally to make sure that the connection doesn't quit, IIRC.

I made a meme
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
When you view a webpage, "pings" are sent occasionally to make sure that the connection doesn't quit, IIRC.


You're gunna need to elaborate on that. Cause I'm not following.
I don't think I know enough to do that, to be honest...
Alex wrote:
This issue has been reported so many times. It's not a browser bug and definitely server side. We can't track it down but suspect it has to do with how phpBB handles topics with hundreds of replies. At the time of Womp Womps post, this topic had 820 replies. Or, 41 pages of replies. However, phpBB doesn't include the OP in the reply count. So there was really 821 posts which would have pushed us into 42 pages. However, the correct last post is on page 41 Question

So, somewhere along the lines phpBB is counting the correct number of pages for the amount of posts but then erring out that there are no posts for the same topic. Which is why we suspect it's a high reply count thing. It also doesn't happen every time there's a new page which makes it pretty hard to track down and a fairly low priority; if it happened with every new page we'd probably spend more of our free time tracking it down. Smile

Not true, since this bug doesn't occur on other topics with a large amount of posts in it. It happened for like the last 4 or 5 pages, and will happen with each new page, so I guess it's already time to bugfix Smile
We knew that SAX in firefox sucked, but now it sucks in safari too...


EDIT: fixed. I was zoomed outinOUT to 50%
I can't replicate that on a 1080p or a 4K monitor. I'm using Safari Version 10.1.1 (12603.2.4). However, if I zoom out a few times I get this exact result. So, can you go into View->Actual Size or just pressing CMND+0? Doing so brings the Say button back in line for me.
I'm also pretty sure I can count better than the "online users" widget.



Edit: it happened again, which makes me think that either there are people who are hiding their online status, but are still count towards the number of online members.
Edit2: Yeah, I'm an idiot.
What about hidden users?
Razz
[url] tag and URL parser do not like URLs with parentheses.

Example: https://www.omnimaga.org/asm-language/(z80)-floating-point-routines/
Here's a way to bypass that (I used your link as an example):

Code:

[url=*insert redirecting/shortened link, without the offending symbols *]*insert link*[/url]

[url=http://tinyurl.com/ybgfc2lz]https://www.omnimaga.org/asm-language/(z80)-floating-point-routines/[/url]


Here's that in-action:
https://www.omnimaga.org/asm-language/(z80)-floating-point-routines/
Or don't force a dependency on some other service and escape the characters it doesn't like.

This works.

Code:
[url=https://www.omnimaga.org/asm-language/%28z80%29-floating-point-routines/]This works.[/url]
Tari wrote:
Or don't force a dependency on some other service and escape the characters it doesn't like.

This works.

Code:
[url=https://www.omnimaga.org/asm-language/%28z80%29-floating-point-routines/]This works.[/url]


Oh, yeah, I forgot about percent encoding... also known as The Correct Way Of Encoding Your URLs... resolved closed wontfix Wink
I cant see my own statements in SAX, but if I put my own name in it I can see the chat highlight. (yes I've ~powercycle d)

I should add that this happened immediately after accepting notifications from Cemetech in Edge.
EDIT: If I refresh the page, the statements are shown.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
... in Edge.


Kidding aside. I can see your statements. At 3:15:28 you say "The notification doesn't pop up when I say my own name..."

It's visible. Do you perhaps mean that you don't get browser notifications?
If you look in the picture, the SAX chat highlight shows that at "3:17:23 [TheLastMillennial] oh, the [...]",
but If you look on the actual SAX, there is no statement at 3:17:23.

Although yes these are visible by others, I can't see them until I refresh the page. (I also don't get the browser notification)
  
Page 42 of 45
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement