Hullo, peoples!
So, for the past few days, I've been working here and there on project a little music project. Any critiques are welcome, and please post your own (original) compositions if you have any!
So here's my critique: It sounds like something a beginner would write, and I say that as someone who used to write very similarly. The only way to fix this is to just compose more. Another thing is you should try taking a music theory class at some point if your school offers it. I took AP music theory, and it helped a lot.

GTemples27 wrote:
please post your own (original) compositions if you have any!

Do I! (I'm entering college in the fall as a CS/Music Composition double major)

My soundcloud is full of them:
https://soundcloud.com/pimathbrainiac
So far you seem to have gotten the basic music idea for melodies right. Many beginners uses a bassline that is completely off-key (generally the same key as the melody, which doesn't work), while you didn't. Good job on that. Also I would say you were better than when I started off in this song, because during my first few months I only used pre-made melodies and drum loops. I agree with Pi about composing more, though. That's how my music also got better over time. And judging from what you got so far, this is definitively stuff I would listen to if it got longer Smile

As for myself I also make music since 2002 and my compositions are on Bandcamp for the most part, but under two different music genre ranges: http://djomnimaga.bandcamp.com
pimathbrainiac wrote:
So here's my critique: It sounds like something a beginner would write, and I say that as someone who used to write very similarly. The only way to fix this is to just compose more. Another thing is you should try taking a music theory class at some point if your school offers it. I took AP music theory, and it helped a lot.

Yeah, about that... I really wanted to take a class, but I couldn't fit it in my schedule (and I'm a senior, too), so I want to find an online class or something. Do you know of a good place where I could find good (primarily text-based) classes/lessons on theory? But here's a question on my composition: What does a beginner's music sound like? What are the characteristics of one said song? And, by the way, I'm really digging your music!

DJ_O wrote:
So far you seem to have gotten the basic music idea for melodies right. Many beginners uses a bassline that is completely off-key (generally the same key as the melody, which doesn't work), while you didn't. Good job on that. Also I would say you were better than when I started off in this song, because during my first few months I only used pre-made melodies and drum loops. I agree with Pi about composing more, though. That's how my music also got better over time. And judging from what you got so far, this is definitively stuff I would listen to if it got longer Smile

Thank you very much; that means a lot! I've listened to a bit of your music before, and I've really enjoyed it; it's just terrific! But, on another note, and I may be wrong, but my bass is in the same key as my melody. I believe. If not, then that means I really need to take a theory class! Razz

And, actually, any idea about where I could learn more about drums and drum theory (if that's a thing?) because I really just did some random things for that.Smile
GTemples27 wrote:
Yeah, about that... I really wanted to take a class, but I couldn't fit it in my schedule (and I'm a senior, too), so I want to find an online class or something. Do you know of a good place where I could find good (primarily text-based) classes/lessons on theory?

https://www.musictheory.net/lessons
^^^great place

Quote:
But here's a question on my composition: What does a beginner's music sound like? What are the characteristics of one said song?

You have a bassline and a melody, but they're both rather repetitive. Also you don't have any real chord progression. You're using open 5 (aka power) chords in the pattern "I5 VII5 VI5 V5" over and over (and if they were filled out, it would be "i VII VI v"), without any variation in progression. Typically, in even the most simplistic of "pop" music, there are at least two main progressions - the verse and the chorus. I was guilty of the same stuff too when I first started, so don't let this criticism be discouraging. Keep composing, learn some theory, and you'll get better, trust me Wink
pimathbrainiac wrote:
GTemples27 wrote:
Yeah, about that... I really wanted to take a class, but I couldn't fit it in my schedule (and I'm a senior, too), so I want to find an online class or something. Do you know of a good place where I could find good (primarily text-based) classes/lessons on theory?

https://www.musictheory.net/lessons
^^^great place

Hmmm... I've looked at the site a little bit, I guess I'll look a bit more!

Quote:
You have a bassline and a melody, but they're both rather repetitive. Also you don't have any real chord progression. You're using open 5 (aka power) chords in the pattern "I5 VII5 VI5 V5" over and over (and if they were filled out, it would be "i VII VI v"), without any variation in progression. Typically, in even the most simplistic of "pop" music, there are at least two main progressions - the verse and the chorus. I was guilty of the same stuff too when I first started, so don't let this criticism be discouraging. Keep composing, learn some theory, and you'll get better, trust me

Well, first off, I don't find this discouraging; I rather enjoy the fact that the criticism helps me improve! Very Happy But, yes, I did realize that I should include some sort of variation in the bass, but I was feeling rather lazy. I'll make sure to keep that in mind next time.
What do you mean by "filled out"? Like, is that when I added that third note in the chord (In measure 13-whenever)? Thank you for the critique; I hope my next one won't sound so beginner-ish!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours