I've decided to recreate Super Smash Bros (Melee, hopefully) on the TI-84+CSE (and CE assuming all goes well with xLIBCE). Super Smash Bros CCM, CCM standing for Color Calc Melee. I decided that if I posted this, it'd get done quicker. I'm doing this on the side, when I'm waiting for my testers to bring me back bugs and other things, and I get the urge to code, I'll be doing this. Here's a screenshot for no reason other than because I like you.

The blank background is intentional. I plan to break free from moving in 8x8 chunks (as in Sorcery of Uvutu), and for that, I'll need to have a blank background present.
How true to the original are you planning on making this game (Aside from the graphics)?
Looks like a great start! I hope this turns out a little bit more complete than the last Super Smash Bros game someone tried to make in the community. Would it be fair to assume that you plan to start with a slightly more modest plan, then work your way up to more features as you finish other parts of it?
Eightx84 wrote:
How true to the original are you planning on making this game (Aside from the graphics)?

I'll be trying to emulate the gravity/fall speed, combos (and since I'm a Falco player in real Melee, I know where I'm coming from here), gameplay mechanics, advanced techniques (like I said, I'm a Falco player. I know what techs there are Razz),etc. It's definitely not feasible to get anywhere near 60fps on the CSE, however, so I'll be trying to go for 30-15 FPS. It's a low goal, but I have to shoot there.

KermMartian wrote:
Looks like a great start! I hope this turns out a little bit more complete than the last Super Smash Bros game someone tried to make in the community. Would it be fair to assume that you plan to start with a slightly more modest plan, then work your way up to more features as you finish other parts of it?

I will start out modest. I still have the same basic goals in mind (get falling, running, etc. working) and I'll build up from there (attacks, special/smash attacks, projectiles, etc.). I'm hoping the CSE has enough speed for this!
Unfortunately, all I have is the running loop with 1 "animation" (Falco sticks his leg out but never changes foot), no gravity or anything, just basic bounds checks, and already I can tell this is impossible. It's fairly slow already, and flickery (since I use both sides of GRAM to draw the map, I can't use double-buffering). On top of speed issues, since I can't mirror sprites, I'd need 2 copies of every single sprite in the game, one for facing left, and the other right. I'd estimate a grand total of 2 characters, using up both tileset slots. It's a shame to kick this project away so early, but I'm absolutely sure it was a mistake to start. At least the camera code might be helpful to some. Maybe this can be of use to someone. I'll leave the files here.

Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/?wpw2ow0thep8nak

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours