Hello,

So I recently decided to make an RPG for my next project. At first, I thought it was going to be text-based and wrote a story for it. Browsing Cemetech I stumbled upon tifreak8x's 'RPG Starter Kit'. I typed the program into my calculator and it worked like a charm.

However, there were some things that I couldn't figure out how to change and that is why I am here posting this topic.

Firstly, I thought that this program would look a lot nicer if it were displayed on the graph screen. I almost never make a program that executes on the home screen unless it's not a game. But the problem I stumbled upon is that there are some thing used that would only work on the home screen, for example displaying the wrapping text for each level with the Disp command. The Text( command does not wrap. There are a few other problems but this one is the most obvious.

Secondly, having the collision detection work. I haven't figured this out yet, but I do think I can. I just thought somebody else might be able to faster.

Thirdly, sprites. A pixel could work, but a character sprite and a sprite for buttons and such would look very nice.

I haven't thought of anything else off the top of my head, but I'm certain it'll come to me eventually.

SFPT
Well, the system would have to be rewritten to deal specifically with displaying to the graph screen, as I'm sure you saw. Are you wanting someone to do this, or were you wanting to try to figure this out and ask for help as you were stumped?

When I made Age of Darkness and Age of Darkness II, I used the placement on the screen itself as the hit detection. It was simple, but effective. Reference: http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/230/23047.html http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/310/31058.html
They both used the same mapping engine, more or less. The second one allowed more for sprites to show up on the screen than the first one did, since I was trying to advance that particular engine, and eventually moved on to other things. This could be more what you are looking for?
I tried to figure it out, and I asked for help here as I was stumped.

I'll check out Age of Darkness. I'll probably report back here with the information I get.
Hm. Well before I try out Age of Darkness, I have succeeded in making a story appear when you step on a letter. However, is there a way to just have it appear at the beginning of the game and never again?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours