The NEC License v1.5
What is the NEC License?
While working on some programs for the TI-84+CE, we needed to find a way to control where our software was going. Some licenses, such as the MIT license, were too loose and allowed no control anywhere. Other licenses were too strict. We needed a license that allowed modification, but not just direct copies. And thus, the NEC license was born.

What does it mean?
Don't sell the software
Do edit the software
Don't distribute copies
Do distribute versions of the software you have modified or improved upon significantly.
Do use this license in modified versions that you distribute.
Don't blame the developers if something goes wrong.
The author can request removal of copies or modified versions of the software.
Don't license the software to other people using a different license.

The License
The NEC License v1.5
Copyright (c) 2016, Author
Derived from a work originally created by Author.

You may not sell any portion of this software or use it for commercial use. However, the demonstration of the software at a commercial event is permitted. You are permitted to modify the software for personal use, or for distribution following the guidelines below.

Redistributions online, or using methods involving the internet, is prohibited unless significant alteration is made to the software, or unless express permission is given by the author. Significant alteration is defined as any addition or removal to the functionality of the software. Any redistrubitions must include a copy of this license. Redistributing verbatim copies of the software is not permitted. The author reserves the right to deny any redistribution, and to request removal of any redistribution if the privilege was abused or if permission was not granted, or for any other reason necessary to retain proper ownership over the software, be it modified or a verbatim copy. Sublicensing is not permitted.

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all redistributions or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
Sounds like a great idea.

Will I have to edit the license before using it? Very Happy
Eightx84 wrote:
Sounds like a great idea.

Will I have to edit the license before using it? Very Happy

Nope, the license has no license (ok, I guess that means it's ARR, so it's public domain... mmkay)
I'm ok with such licenses, as long as they're not vendor lock-ins in disguise.
DJ_O: I believe KInfinity's original intent is to prevent open-source software from being copied and re-distributed without the author's permission, while still allowing it to be studied and learned from. I'm not sure vendor lock-in is relevant in this case. Smile For what it's worth, the author could also use a more restrictive license, which would prevent the software from being redistributed at all. "All rights reserved" would do that, for instance.
I'm not sure NEC is the best name for this license.
Art_of_camelot wrote:
I'm not sure NEC is the best name for this license.

Most initials have another meaning, so although NEC is a major corporation (which I was aware of), this NEC means something different, and I think you can tell the difference pretty easily.
KermMartian wrote:
DJ_O: I believe KInfinity's original intent is to prevent open-source software from being copied and re-distributed without the author's permission, while still allowing it to be studied and learned from. I'm not sure vendor lock-in is relevant in this case. Smile For what it's worth, the author could also use a more restrictive license, which would prevent the software from being redistributed at all. "All rights reserved" would do that, for instance.
Yeah I am just saying, because in the past, some community members attempted to twist their software licenses and disclaimers in a way that gave 1 single site (or only websites covering 1 specific calculator brand) the exclusive rights to post news articles about it or links to the original download (although one author did that in response to an Omnimaga ban, so that might not count). The main worry that some people have is whether the authors are legitimately trying to protect his intellectual property or instead practicing community website favoritism.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours