Hey guys
I recently wanted good graphics in my programs and text sprites seemed like the way to go. Sadly there is hardly any documentation on text sprites for the CE. So I was wondering if anybody could provide me the characters that I need to use for horizontal sprites on the CE. Also do I need to use the first or the first two pixels of each character?
Vital7788 wrote:
Hey guys
I recently wanted good graphics in my programs and text sprites seemed like the way to go. Sadly there is hardly any documentation on text sprites for the CE. So I was wondering if anybody could provide me the characters that I need to use for horizontal sprites on the CE. Also do I need to use the first or the first two pixels of each character?

the lack of documentation is because text sprites are rarely ever used since the arrival of simpler and faster sprite drawing methods such as hybrid-basic libraries, however, the characters to use should be the same as on the monochrome calculators and can be found on tibasicdev. Text sprites on the color calculators are different from the monochrome calcs because a white area is drawn around the characters and the number of pixels between each row is of course different so you might want to look out for that, but I've seen it done. I have never seen text sprites done using the first two pixels of characters but I think you should most definitely attempt this because it would indeed be faster to display, and if you do succeed, you should post the characters you used to make reference for future programmers looking into this Smile
Hybrid libs are indeed better but the CE doesn't have those yet, so I need another way to get good graphics. The characters on the CE have double the length en width of the characters on the older ones, so why not use the first 2 rows? Although the sloped lines would probably pose some problems. If text sprites don't work out I can always resort to plot sprites or wait until Kerm finishes Doors.
I'm not able to help with your textsprites, sorry.

However, if you do decide to use plotsprites instead, here is a link to a set of tools I made. They were designed to make the use of plotsprites easier for new programmers. I encourage you to look at the source behind them.

P.S. the toolset needs some improvements that I have yet to upload, but it does work.

Url: Plotlib tool set
I have tried to make text sprites work but a lot of the used characters are outdated. I wouldn't mind figuring out what characters are needed, but I don't have acces to all of them. So unless somebody could provide me with a program that contains every character for the CE I guess I'll have to give up on text sprites.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours