Eightx84 wrote:
I'm a speedcuber in training with a best time of 1:05. I've never heard of half these algorithms. Welp, Googling time!

https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/PLL is an excellent resource. It gives you plenty of different version of the algorithms. If you are frightened, just take the first alg listed for each permutation.
UPDATE: New record time of 40.3 seconds, less than half my original time! Woot!

2-Look OLL and PLL have been completed, and full PLL is on the way!

UPDATED UPDATE: New record of 35 seconds!

UPDATED UPDATED UPDATE: New record of 31 seconds!
Welp, in case anyone wondered, I now have a record of 23.3 seconds and average 30. I have F2L just about finished and full PLL (I just need to learn those N-Perms and G-Perms). I need to work on my cross, and hopefully that'll get me down to the teens!
GTemples27 wrote:
Welp, in case anyone wondered, I now have a record of 23.3 seconds and average 30. I have F2L just about finished and full PLL (I just need to learn those N-Perms and G-Perms). I need to work on my cross, and hopefully that'll get me down to the teens!

Wow! I've never seen anyone improve so much over the course of a week or so! You'll be sub-20 in another month or so if you keep this up!
My 23 was just luck! (PLL Skip!) Getting a new cube helped me out, too. I went from a terrible cube that couldn't do any corner cuts at all to a speedcube. That shaved off a bit of time.
Hactar wrote:
You'll be sub-20 in another month or so if you keep this up!

Ehhh... too much, my friend!
GTemples27 wrote:
My 23 was just luck! (PLL Skip!) Getting a new cube helped me out, too. I went from a terrible cube that couldn't do any corner cuts at all to a speedcube. That shaved off a bit of time.
Hactar wrote:
You'll be sub-20 in another month or so if you keep this up!

Ehhh... too much, my friend!

What cube do you use now? I have a MeiYing.
I have a Dayan Zhanchi, but my main is the Rephael Magic Puzzle Cube. It's pretty nice, I love how it turns, but I wish it had better corner cutting.
Sorry for the self-promotion, but if anyone here has a +CE, I made a 3x3 simulator: https://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=242474
Wow. Hadn't noticed this thread :\

All the twisty puzzles I own are:
* a stickerless Dayan Zhanchi 3x3
* an AkunDa 3D Puzzle (a core-less 3x3 with lid that opens when you solve it)
* a Christmas-themed keychain picture cube
* a worn Rubik's brand 4x4
* a stickerless Diansheng 5x5 with the orange-blue-yellow corner broken
* a Shengshou 6x6 with some internal parts missing (works fine, though...just gotta be careful)
* a Shengshou 7x7
* an MF8 Square-1

I also borrowed my girlfriend's Megaminx (unknown brand) for the past few days, and I learned my way around it fairly quickly.

My methods are:
* 3x3 speed - CFOP with F2L Partial Edge Control, COLL, and 2-look PLL (sometimes I do Partial Edge Control, other times not)
* 3x3 FMC/other - Heise method (not good at FMC, though)
* 4x4 and up - Yau method (variant of reduction where the first 3 cross edge pairs are solved before the centers, and the 4th is solved before edge pairing) for 4x4 and up
* Megaminx - LBL (I guess) with corner commutators and 3-edge cycles for LL (I sometimes work in a sort of hybrid F2L+blockbuilding aspect for solving until LL)
* Square-1 - Corner-edge pairing (see 6th method on this page)

My average 3x3 time is around the 30s range. It varies.
JWinslow23 wrote:

My methods are:
* 3x3 speed - CFOP with F2L Partial Edge Control, COLL, and 2-look PLL (sometimes I do Partial Edge Control, other times not)

First off, partial edge control? What's that???
Second, What's COLL? Complete-OLL?
I can solve any size of cube (from 2x2 to 17x17) and i can solve several other shapes of cubes. my fastest 3x3 time is 0:57, and my fastest overall time is 0:11 on the Skewb.
I solved a 3x3 cube in around 80 or so seconds.

With the help of a Lego Mindstorms robot and MineCuber Smile
Do you have any other cubes?
Pieman7373 wrote:
Do you have any other cubes?

Yeah, I've got a Rubik's brand 2x2 and 3x3, and some other 3x3 that completely stinks. It
s so terrible, it isn't even funny.
GTemples27 wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

My methods are:

Partial Edge Control is where you do EOLL while you do F2L. To be honest, that could have been better phrased as F2L + EOLL.
COLL means "Corner Orientation of the Last Layer".

Sometimes language confuses people! Razz
JWinslow23 wrote:
GTemples27 wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

My methods are:

Partial Edge Control is where you do EOLL while you do F2L. To be honest, that could have been better phrased as F2L + EOLL.

Ahhhhhhhh...... Where can I read a more detailed explanation? I can't seem to find one, despite my wonderful (read mediocre) Googling skills!
GTemples27 wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
GTemples27 wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

My methods are:

Ahhhhhhhh...... Where can I read a more detailed explanation? I can't seem to find one, despite my wonderful (read mediocre) Googling skills!

Partial Edge Control seems to be largely intuitive, it's just a matter of inserting the pairs the right way. However, algorithms exist. Here is a page I found with algorithms (the images seem broken, though). This also seems to be called Vandenbergh-Harris, and this seems to be something slightly different, of which I can find no algorithms.

COLL is just...I learned all of the OLL cases where EO is done.

EDIT: OCLL, not COLL. COLL means Corners Of Last Layer, meaning permutation as well. OCLL is Orient Corners of Last Layer. Language really IS confusing!
JWinslow23 wrote:

EDIT: OCLL, not COLL. COLL means Corners Of Last Layer, meaning permutation as well. OCLL is Orient Corners of Last Layer. Language really IS confusing!

Sheesh, cubers are worse than TI! Just wait, there's gonna be a CLOL and a CLLO and a COLO and more!
BUMPS POST MUCH

Well, a bit of an update, then. 21.1 seconds is my new record and I average around 28 seconds.
I now have an X-Cube, which is just monstrous, and a bulge cube.
JWinslow23 wrote:
GTemples27 wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:
GTemples27 wrote:
JWinslow23 wrote:

My methods are:

Partial Edge Control seems to be largely intuitive, it's just a matter of inserting the pairs the right way. However, algorithms exist. Here is a page I found with algorithms (the images seem broken, though). This also seems to be called Vandenbergh-Harris, and this seems to be something slightly different, of which I can find no algorithms.

COLL is just...I learned all of the OLL cases where EO is done.

EDIT: I lied and got all the names wrong. Turns out I've been wrong about this ever since I started cubing. Whoops!

I am pretty sure COLL is Corner Orientation of the Last Layer, meaning you are only orienting four corners on the last layer. CLL is Corners of the Last Layer, which can be used in conjunction with ELL (Edges of the Last Layer) to solve the complete last layer. CLL/ELL is an alternative to OLL/PLL, but (I think) has a total of more algorithms. It's great to learn after full OLL/PLL so that you can take advantage of the cases if they do arise, though the recognition for CLL and ELL is relatively difficult compared to OLL/PLL.

tl;dr
• COLL = Corner Orientation of the Last Layer
• CPLL = Corner Permutation of the Last Layer
• CLL = Corners of the Last Layer (COLL + CPLL)
• EOLL = Edge Orientation of the Last Layer
• EPLL = Edge Permutation of the Last Layer
• ELL = Edges of the Last Layer
• CLL/ELL work great together to solve the last layer, but recognition is significantly harder than the CFOP standard of OLL/PLL
• OLLCP = OLL + CPLL (This is what Collin Burns used to the get the 5.25 world record. OLLCP has well over 300 algorithms.)

Also, partial edge control sounds REALLY awesome, and it can be, but the recognition has to be lightning fast. So if you're even a 20-second solver, it will slow you down by several seconds for a long time and will only give you an extra second or two later on, if even. If you learn more algorithms to take advantage of EOLL being done (or just not learn full OLL Razz) then it might chop off an extra 1-2 seconds (depending on how bad you are at OLL).[/b]

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours