Hi. I saw somebody posted an ad for TI-83 se on Craigslist with a picture showing on its screen "waiting please install calculator software now". So when i went to the seller, I found out it cannot be turned on. The seller had no idea what happened but I bought it anyway. I tried everything I can found in the internet (hold del, clear, battery, etc..), however I couldn't get it working. So I tear it open and check the hardware with a multimeter. The fuse, link cable to the LCD, contact pad all look fine. The power input to the LCD is around 3.3v. So what could be wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.
I'm no expert at all, but my guess is that may need to re-install the OS, which the original owner may have deleted, possibly by accident. You can get an OS <here>, and you will also need TI-Connect and a calc2computer cable.

If that is not the problem, I don't know what is :/
And make sure to get Ti Connect, not Ti Connect CE Wink
Thanks. I will try after I can get the cable.
In order to get the calculator to turn on to install an OS, you may have to use the OS deletion key sequence: pull one of the AAA batteries, hold down DEL and ON, and keep them held while you reinsert the battery. Release the keys, and the calculator should turn on and display a prompt to reinstall the OS.
That is my problem. I cannot get this del+on thing or any other things work. No display whatsoever.
I am having the same problem with mine. Is it dead?
this is an issue with either the ribbon cable or an on board chip. If you try the ribbon cable repair and that doesn't work then its a broken solder connection on the chip to the right of the processor can't remember the exact name at the moment. But due to the plastic that is used in these calculators when the screws are put in, they over torque causing the board to flex and the solder joints to break.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours