I tried sending an assembly program to my ti-84 cse but when I try it the file shows up as incompatible and doesn't send it .Anyone know why I cant send it to my calc?

Alright thanks!
Files ending with .asm can't be sent to your calculator. To send an assembly program, it should end with .8xp
1) Could you be more specific please? What program, what calculator, with what linking method? Please also include OS'es and version numbers.

2) If the file is .asm I will explain it to you:
Assembly (For short "asm") is the calculators native programming language, which means it is directly read by the CPU, which means it is basically just a bunch of ones and zeroes that tell your calculator what to do. But since it is uncomfortable to program by typing ones and zeroes, programmers invented the instructions: Now they write in some sort of their own language, they get the .asm file. Then another program grabs the text they wrote and replaces it by said ones and zeroes automatically. This makes programs much more easier to write but requires the program to translate "Human to calculator".
Now what happened is that you grabbed the .asm program and tried to tell the calculator what to do in "human words". It doesn't understand and asks for replacing that by ones and zeroes Wink.
I am not an expert on how to do this, but there are special programs for that available for download, someone else could explain this to you in detail.
Alright thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours