Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
I've begun work on a roguelike for the CSE using XLibC and Celtic 2 CSE, with a color scheme similar to (read: the same as) the DOS Command Prompt. Therefore, it requires Doors CSE 8.0 or greater to run! It will (eventually) include a turn-based battle system, open world with randomly generated features (towns, treasure chests, etc.) and much more. If you want to see the complete Todo (there's a lot), visit the GitHub repo.

►Some of the Todo:
*maybe add ability to name character

►Download:
http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1311

►Image v1.1:
I've updated the image in the OP. Now, there are turn based battles. The encounters aren't *random* per say, but that's probably the easiest part of the whole battling system.
I always thought it would be great if someone made a COMPLETELY open world (one with an optional storyline, like GTA online) and you can do whatever, kind of a limited sandbox. I think this is my chance to step in and say what a great idea it is! Smile

btw I love that shaking effect you get when you find an enemy. That would've been nice to see in Dragonsglid Smile
It looks like you're doing a good job of making the map and game engine so far, and I love the white-on-black ASCII game look. What did you use to fill the screen completely with black, the xLIBC commands?
Yep he uses xLIB commands Smile
xXEllesarXx wrote:
I always thought it would be great if someone made a COMPLETELY open world (one with an optional storyline, like GTA online) and you can do whatever, kind of a limited sandbox. I think this is my chance to step in and say what a great idea it is! Smile

btw I love that shaking effect you get when you find an enemy. That would've been nice to see in Dragonsglid Smile

Yeah. I had an option to either do that or invert the colors. But I felt that the shaking would be a little less cliche, and might yield less seizures. I also added some delay to the For( loop that controls the shaking, so that it hopefully won't give anyone seizures.

KermMartian wrote:
It looks like you're doing a good job of making the map and game engine so far, and I love the white-on-black ASCII game look. What did you use to fill the screen completely with black, the xLIBC commands?

Yeah, I took that look from the DOS command prompt, like I said. It also kinda looks like Unknownloner's roguelike, but mine will probably end up a roguelike-like with an open world and less like a dungeon crawling roguelike, if that made any sense.
As DJ_O said, I did use the xLib commands. ClrHome uncolored the screen, and using a For( list to output spaces was way too slow.

Also, I just realized that this doesn't even need to have homescreen color commands, because all it does is add a color scheme. I think I'll keep it the way it is, since if the end user doesn't have Doors CSE, they're going to want it once they know what it is.
I did a lot of balancing and added a few features.
Changelog v0.3b:
*Added map screen finally
*Added heal spell to battles (takes away Exp)
*Added new enemies that appear as you leave the area around the starting town
*Balanced the game so that fights are not impossible but you can still die at any level, and so that you are able to one-shot enemies at higher levels that you can't at lower levels to add actual progression
*Added ability to customize world size
*Added visual indicator (changing to a big O, again...) that you can heal and that town has healed you (changing to a ^)
*Added random chance that running will fail. Chance gets larger the tougher enemy you're fighting.
*Changed around battle UI

Image updated in OP.
Oh wow, that's a ton of new additions! Smile Great work 123Outerme; it is looking quite spiffy. Also, "changing to a big O" made me laugh a little. The new gray background looks quite nice too. Smile

EDIT: Oh wait; it's not gray. My brightness was turned up all the way. Mateo facepalms.
This looks awesome! How did you manage to get the screen to shake like that? Is it real(0,1,1 and real(0,1,0,1?
The only suggestion I have UI-wise is to have a back icon (<-) where F1 is, because where it's located on the screen is a little disorienting (F1=BACK).
I will look forward to playing this.
Great job!

EDIT: Make sure the program cleans up after itself, since it uses many RAM variables.
solarsoftware wrote:
This looks awesome! How did you manage to get the screen to shake like that? Is it real(0,1,1 and real(0,1,0,1?


Looks like it, although a better screen shake could be achieved using real(8,2,<value>)
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Oh wow, that's a ton of new additions! Smile Great work 123Outerme; it is looking quite spiffy. Also, "changing to a big O" made me laugh a little. The new gray background looks quite nice too. Smile

EDIT: Oh wait; it's not gray. My brightness was turned up all the way. Mateo facepalms.

Lol, nice. Thanks for the compliments!

solarsoftware wrote:
This looks awesome! How did you manage to get the screen to shake like that? Is it real(0,1,1 and real(0,1,0,1?
The only suggestion I have UI-wise is to have a back icon (<-) where F1 is, because where it's located on the screen is a little disorienting (F1=BACK).
I will look forward to playing this.
Great job!

EDIT: Make sure the program cleans up after itself, since it uses many RAM variables.

You were close, I used real(0,1,1 and real(9. I had to put the F1=Back there, because if you had a 9x9 map, the 10th row would be used up, which is where I put the F1=Back thing before, right near the F1 key itself. I'll try to move it around, but it may not be possible. (Although, I guess I could always just limit the map size to 8x8 anyways)
And as for the cleanup, don't worry, all taken care of Smile

Edit: Limited the map size to 8x8, but also because I feel that 9x9 would be too hard, since finishing the game would require you to go all the way out to 9,9. The journey would be tough compared to getting from 1,1 to 4,4. And so, I fixed what you were talking about with the F1-BACK.

M. I. Wright wrote:
solarsoftware wrote:
This looks awesome! How did you manage to get the screen to shake like that? Is it real(0,1,1 and real(0,1,0,1?


Looks like it, although a better screen shake could be achieved using real(8,2,<value>)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe those commands require you to be in hasf-res mode, and if I used real(8,2,... it might look a little silly to see the screen zoom in and then shake a little bit back and forth. I'll see if it would look better.
123outerme wrote:
M. I. Wright wrote:
solarsoftware wrote:
This looks awesome! How did you manage to get the screen to shake like that? Is it real(0,1,1 and real(0,1,0,1?


Looks like it, although a better screen shake could be achieved using real(8,2,<value>)

If I'm not mistaken, I believe those commands require you to be in hasf-res mode, and if I used real(8,2,... it might look a little silly to see the screen zoom in and then shake a little bit back and forth. I'll see if it would look better.


Oh duh, I didn't realize that this was in fullres mode. Yeah, what you have is fine Smile
I am almost completely finished! I need some testers to give feedback on Solius. If you are interested, please PM me or post a reply. I'm not too picky on who I want to test, just as long as you have a CSE!
Oooo me me me!

I can test, Outerme, what would you like to look for?
I would love to play, but unfortunately i don't have a cse. However, if I can I would love to look at the code behind this program (and possibly modify it).
Unicorn wrote:
Oooo me me me!

I can test, Outerme, what would you like to look for?

Mostly just testing balance; making sure that at every level you can die but still have a chance against other enemies. So, in essence, grinding against enemies over in over until you get to the max of level 20. Also, difficulty vs size of map is something that I'd be interested in knowing.

Other than that, just suggesting how to improve the UI, overall game, etc. I'll PM you with the latest build.

LuckyGhost wrote:
I would love to play, but unfortunately i don't have a cse. However, if I can I would love to look at the code behind this program (and possibly modify it).

When I release the game (and if I can remember), I'll post the code on GitHub. If I haven't posted the code by the time it's out, PM me. It would be cool to see a monochrome port from this. Obviously display, balance (since you would have a 6x14 space to work with vs 8x24, and therefore it takes less steps to move to a new screen), probably some random code that isn't compatible with the TI-83, etc. would be some of the changes you'd make. Other than that, I think it would probably be pretty easy, since it's a homescreen game.
Is it supposed to be this way? I save the game, then come back to it and play for 2 minutes and die. Am I supposed to be able to revert back to the save? If so, it does not work.
Unicorn wrote:
Is it supposed to be this way? I save the game, then come back to it and play for 2 minutes and die. Am I supposed to be able to revert back to the save? If so, it does not work.

Roguelikes usually implement permadeath. That's why I wanted you to test who killed you, because death will put you back to the beginning. If you want, I can PM you a save file that you can just load to test the map size balancing I was talking about.
Can I be a tester? Very Happy
Quote:
M. I. Wright wrote:
Quote:
solarsoftware wrote:
This looks awesome! How did you manage to get the screen to shake like that? Is it real(0,1,1 and real(0,1,0,1?


Looks like it, although a better screen shake could be achieved using real(8,2,<value>)


If I'm not mistaken, I believe those commands require you to be in hasf-res mode, and if I used real(8,2,... it might look a little silly to see the screen zoom in and then shake a little bit back and forth. I'll see if it would look better.


Don't you mean- "if you're not misshaken?"

(Bad puns courtesy of Excelseo (c)2015)
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement