Okay, so I've been working on creating a game like Stick Ninja, or whatever it's called. As of now, it works fine, but there is one segment of code that is EXTREMELY slow.

Code:

:For(I,0,D
:If I /= 0
:Line(6, 6, I+5, iPart(√(D²-(I-1)²))+6, 0
:Line(6, 6, I+6, iPart(√(D²-I²))+6
:If 54 = real(8
:Goto 5
:End

How could I make this faster???

P.S. D is the length of the pole, just in case that helps.
The most obvious error is (1) that you have a Goto in a speed-critical section of code and (2) that you have a Goto inside a For/End loop. Where is Lbl 5?
As Kerm said, if Lbl 5 just comes directly after your loop, then you could just do this:

Code:
:For(I,1,D
:Line(6, 6, I+5, int(√(D²-(I-1)²))+6, 0
:Line(6, 6, I+6, int(√(D²-I²))+6
:If 54 != real(8

However, more code is going to have to be provided in order to have a better idea of what is actually going on. Thanks! Smile
Well, the procedure was still slow before I added the If statement. My real issue is with the two Line( commands.
Lbl 5 is near the end of the code... Actually, thinking about it, I could probably just use Stop since Lbl 5 is to terminate the program...
But, anywho, I need help optimizing the lines for speed.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
As Kerm said, if Lbl 5 just comes directly after your loop, then you could just do this:

Code:
That would not work (or at least leave leaked memory), because there would be a leftover End that would never be hit. I'd recommend:
Code:
:D²-I²
:Line(6, 6, I+5, int(√(Ans-2I+1))+6, 0
:Line(6, 6, I+6, int(√(Ans))+6
:If 54=real(8
:D->I
KermMartian wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Code:
That would not work (or at least leave leaked memory), because there would be a leftover End that would never be hit. I'd recommend:
Code:
:Line(6, 6, I+5, int(√(Ans-2I+1))+6, 0
:Line(6, 6, I+6, int(√(Ans))+6

Yes, it would indeed. I can't believe that I wrote something like that... Well, what do you know. My brain obviously went on break for a bit. Razz Anywho, thank you for pointing that out, but Kerm, I think that that above code might not work correctly as well because the first if statement is executing the D²-I², not the Line command. Wink

In addition, int(√(Ans-2I+1)) in this case is not the same as int(√(D²-(I-1)²)).... Notice the location of parentheses. Wink As a possible optimization, you might be able to try:

Code:
:Line(6, 6, I+5, int(√(Ans+2I+1)+6,0
:Line(6, 6, I+6, 6+int(√(Ans

EDIT: Added Kerm's code below! Kerm++, I need to get some rest...

I'm assuming that the /= is not equal to?
MateoConLechuga wrote:
In addition, int(√(Ans-2I+1)) in this case is not the same as int(√(D²-(I-1)²)).... Notice the location of parentheses.
Ah, I see I made a sign error, it should be +2I-1 instead of -2I+1. Wink
int(√(D²-(I-1)²)) = int(√(D²-(I-1)(I-1)))
= int(√(D²-(I²-2I+1)))
= int(√(D²-I²+2I-1)))
= int(√((D²-I²)+2I-1)))
= int(√(Ans+2I-1))) where Ans=(D²-I²)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours