Unicorn wrote:
This may or may not bea bug. I turned on my calc, went right to Doors and ran NACANIS when the title screen appeared, the background had changed from blue to black.

What you have described is not proper behavior and is most likely a bug. Have you tried this multiple times and gotten the same result? Because if not, then it might have been a hole between initializing memory and setting up the interrupts, which has (probably?) been fixed in the current development version (0.4, not released as of this writing)

There is a bug that causes the currently selected menu option to "persist" after program close in DCS due flagrant abuse of SMC. This is reproduceable by opening the game via DCS, moving the cursor to some option other than the first one, exiting the game, then re-running the game. This bug has fixed in 0.4

Currently, I'm working out the story mode, which is taking up much more space than I previously thought. You can no longer run this program on the homescreen via the Asm( token and now must be run through DCS. Thankfully, once DCS is run once, you can run prgmNACANIS from the homescreen without the Asm( token and DCS will pick up from there and load the game.

Although no plans have been made, I can convert this setup to assemble as a FlashAPP. What are your thoughts about this?
Iambian, I would go for it. Smile My personal preference is Apps first, mainly because I don't have to worry too much about space. Also, even though SMC is somewhat more difficult to do from within an APP, it is still possible. Also, even when in APP form, it can be run from DCSE and you can still create a custom icon. As you probably already know all of this, Razz, just wanted to point out some of the benefits. Smile
Story mode is almost implemented. It's currently playable up to a point but still playable.

TODO: Put in the rest of the image data, make a few more cutscenes, tweak level progression, polish the game, then call it done.

Details: The screenshot above has had its first stage length intentionally shortened to allow faster testing of the end stage animation. The story itself in the screenshot was skipped to get to the point faster. Yes, the cat is zooming across the galaxy at thousands of lightyears per second.
Oooh nice idea Iambian. I'm glad that this game is getting expanded further Very Happy
Nice work! Smile How are you implementing background images? With APACK, I imagine? I do like the level transitions; the speed up and black enclosing is quite fantastic. Keep up the great job! Smile
This game looks simply delicious (pun intended)! Awesome work Iambian!
Nacanis has been updated to v0.4 as of this writing. Notable features:

* Story mode fully implemented
* Pause button (why didn't I think of this earlier?)

Todo: Done. So done. Maybe much later, I'll refactor the code?

Details:

In-game, there are ten stages. To access the ending, you need to lose on the 10th stage. Don't try to beat it.

You'll definitely need Doors CSE for this one. Seems that adding in the story bloated the size of the program to monstrous proportions. Now weighing in at 20KB, you'll need to clear out RAM before you can play.

Each release contains the binaries from all the previous releases (in the "old" folder) so if all you want is a simple cat game, v0.3 is still available for play.
Cool to hear. I'll download this version now Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Nice work! Smile How are you implementing background images? With APACK, I imagine? I do like the level transitions; the speed up and black enclosing is quite fantastic. Keep up the great job! Smile

All graphical and (most) textual assets are compressed using APACK and decompressed to varying pages of RAM.

The real reason for this posting, however, is to share a "higher quality" recording, because the built in screenshot utility of Wabbitemu isn't up to par for recording half-res animated screen data. Ended up using Bandicam to do the job and the result I got ... well. Youtube had to do it. So yeah. This is also my first uploaded video.

Note: There is no audio. Set it to whatever music you want.

I set my music to the original video. Smile Worked quite nice. Great job on completing this! Very Happy
I was hoping you would put the nyan cat song on it Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours