s[i]=init;
   return s;
}
main()
{
   char *s="bla bla bla";
   printf("%s\n",init_str(s));
}

It doesn't work. The compiler doesn't detect anything, but the console crashes when I run it.
Can anyone tell me what the problem is? The init_str function in this program is supposed to initialize all values of the string to a random character.
Your string is immutable if you declare it like that, meaning you cant modify it. Instead declare it like:

char s[]="bla bla bla";

And your program should work.

Also note that depending on your compiler/crt the value of 'init' could be a null terminator so you might not get any result when printing it. You could try manually initialising init to a random character if need be.
To be a bit more precise, string literals have type const char*, so you're (wrongly) implicitly casting to char* in main. If your compiler isn't complaining about that, it's either terrible or you need to turn on more warnings.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Your string is immutable if you declare it like that, meaning you cant modify it. Instead declare it like:

char s[]="bla bla bla";

And your program should work.

Also note that depending on your compiler/crt the value of 'init' could be a null terminator so you might not get any result when printing it. You could try manually initialising init to a random character if need be.

It worked, thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours