Not sure whether to put this in the hardware or software...

I was doing a couple things with linking calculators today to try to figure out how to detect if another calculator is connected to the calculator in control. I theorized that if you stored 0 into Xmin and Xmax, then used GetCalc( to retrieve the Xmin and Xmax, then took the sum and it was unequal to zero, that would tell you if there was a calculator on the other end. But you can't use GetCalc( with Xmin and Xmax.

I know that when calculators detect power on their ports, they can turn on, and when they have been disconnected from power or other calculators they'll turn on.
I was doing a little testing, and turned both calculators off. I turned one of them back on while they were both connected, and it turned the other calculator on first, though I didn't even touch it. Then it would turn the calculator on that I wanted to turn on. Further testing produced very strange and confusing results. I was using the normal usb to usb cable between calculators. One side is labeled A and the other side B. When testing between all the different 84's, the results were mostly the same. When calculator A was turned on, It would turn calculator B on first. All except when calculator A was the TI-84CSE.
Also: when The TI-84CSE was calculator B, and you turned calculator A on, the charging light on the CSE would turn on for a couple seconds until it realizes that the other calculator is not a source for charge.

Also: on the software side;
The GetCalc( command seems to be a little special.
Things will transfer as follows:

In RAM and ARCHIVE:
1. Any Matrix
2. ʟ1 - ʟ6
3. Str1 - Str0
4. GDB1 - GDB0

Only in Ram:
1. All Y-Vars
2. A - θ

Won't transfer at all (aka. Syntax Error):
1. Any Program (prgm)
2. Any user made List (ʟ...)
3. Any Window Vars
4. Any Zoom Vars
5. Any Statistics Vars
6. Any Table Vars
7. Any Finance Vars (Finance App)

Not sure:
1. Pic1 - Pic0

When I use GetCalc( with the pictures, it didn't transmit, or give me a Syntax Error. It did what any would do if the target didn't exist on the other calc. It looked like it was transmitting, but it didn't.

If you have anything else strange, or explanation to my calculator stuff, please reply. Thanks
hardware wise, turning on/off seems normal.

the software side? I think reverse engineering the OS would be needed. except programs, which you cant do anything with in basic anyway (probably to prevent abuse). given how Basic also tends to be judgemental torwards anything you access thats archived, im curious why those 4 are allowed, while the rest are not.

the Pictures? I shrugs at that.
As documented on wikiti, if you pull one link port line low and the other goes low, that means that another calc with TIOS silent link enabled is on the other end. For the USB, port 4D bits 4 and 5 tell you if a USB cable is connected. To see if that is another calc, use silent link to check.
AHelper wrote:
As documented on wikiti, if you pull one link port line low and the other goes low, that means that another calc with TIOS silent link enabled is on the other end. For the USB, port 4D bits 4 and 5 tell you if a USB cable is connected. To see if that is another calc, use silent link to check.

I would like to be able to check in basic... Though there probably isin't a way to do that.

Is there a way to do it in hex?

I guess that the game idea that I had won't work very well, It had to be able to transfer pictures. If there is a way to do that in hex also, it would be nice to know. thanks.
16aroth6 wrote:
AHelper wrote:

I would like to be able to check in basic... Though there probably isin't a way to do that.

Is there a way to do it in hex?
There's no such language as "hex". It's possible to check port $4D, bits 4 and 5, with assembly, and you can encode that assembly as ASCII hex character for use with ExecHex. It's important to me that we be clear on this, because I've had too many people coming and wanting to learn how to "program in HEX".
I am pretty sure that what they call 'hex" is when you write Asm code with ASCII hex characters in a "regular program" that starts with "AsmPrgm" and that you'll run with Asm(prgmNAME).
Anyway, I'm interested to see these details of what GetCalc( will and will not do, and I wonder if that's something we could replicate on other calculators. It sounds like you used a TI-84+/SE with a TI-84+CSE, which would explain why things like Pictures would not transfer.
I have many friends with other calcs, and I should be able to try it on an 84 Plus, and an 83 Plus. I don't know if any of my friends have an 83 silver.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours