What I'm trying to do in Brass is have a large variable that's created using .var and try to relocate a routine that needs to be in RAM into it. I'm trying to take the idea of allocating memory to variables and apply it to entire RAM routines. The code I have in attempts to do this is as follows:

Code:
.var 66,offPageCall

.module ROMCALL
InitDevMem:
 ld hl,OPC_START
 ld de,offPageCall
 ld bc,OPC_END-OPC_START
 ldir
 ;other routines
 ret

OPC_START:
.relocate offPageCall

jr $
 ld hl,0
 ld (currow),hl
 ld hl,STR
 bcall(noname._PutS)
 ret
STR:
.db "HELLO WORLD",0

.endrelocate
OPC_END:
.endmodule

Note: The code above was designed to test the idea.

Note: Brass didn't like that I used _PutS alone. Doing "noname._PutS" fixed that. The "jr $" is there so I can figure out what's going on.

When I do "call offPageCall", PC correctly jumps to one of the possible locations I have defined, which happens to be $9A01 in this instance. This tells me that OPC_END and OPC_START are correct, and are copying the information to RAM correctly. But here's the problem. "STR" resolves to a value as though .relocate was a .org 0

Here's output from Wabbitemu's debugger:

Code:

9A01:18fe: jr $9A01   ;2 bytes 12 clocks
9A03:210000: ld hl,$00   ;3 bytes 10 clocks
9A06:224b84:  ld ($844B),hl   ;3 bytes 16 clocks
9A09:210f00: ld hl,$0F   ;3 bytes 10 clocks
9A0C:ef0a45: bcall(_PutS)   ;3 bytes
9A0F:c9:  ret   ;1 bytes 10 clocks

After that stretch of code is the string "HELLO WORLD"

I can't figure out how to work around this problem without having to define a definite address for the routine to reside. Any thoughts?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours