I've finally gotten around to finishing Minecrft 0.3 beta. Minecrft is so called because it is a DOS program, meaning it must be 8 characters or less, and it is a 2D imitation of Minecraft, so I figured, why not make a gimmick out of the name I had to use? Makes it be called something different from the real one, anyway.

Minecrft is pretty basic, being programmed in QBasic/DOS, by a person without tons of knowledge. Some current abilites are: placing, removing, about 20 blocks, creative & survival modes, flying, TNT, basic world generation, and texture pack support. Planned features are sheep, crafting, tools, unbreakable bedrock, biomes, and infinited worlds. About infinite worlds: if anyone could help me with generation code for that, it would be appreciated. Needs caves, ores, natural features, grass on top, bedrock on bottom, and in one continuous piece (grasswise).

Unfortunately, I have not kept a changelog, so I don't know what exactly is different from the last version, 0.2. I do know that 0.3 is the last version for QB 1.1/DOS: 0.4 and up will be geared toward QB 4.5 with libs/Windows 95, hardware spec-wise. Version 0.4 adds a fully functional inventory; I'm not sure about 0.3 (haven't programmed on it much lately). 0.3.1 should be forthcoming, though.

Picture:

More pictures can be seen at my Picasa album here.

[EDIT] The screen does not scroll - it is only a screenfull, like a box. I know scrolling is possible, but I don't know how to do it. Any help?

Also, forgot the readme file in the upload; don't know what I can do about that. It isn't always very intuitive to use...

Another thing: when attepting to compile with QB 4.5, I get error "Program Memory Overflow". Does anyone know what that means?
Awesome work, Caleb, especially considering some of the limitations of QBasic. I did have a go with QBasic a few years ago on windows XP, but I never really made anything half decent. I definitely look forward to see some more progress on this.

In other QBasic news, a QBasic game could be released mainstream on Steam, which is quite an achievement - found it here

Finally, probably the funniest thing you'll see today:
Is this for a calculator as this is amazing, I would be willing to buy a new calc for this game, most impressive!Smile
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
Is this for a calculator as this is amazing, I would be willing to buy a new calc for this game, most impressive!Smile
No, this is for older PCs. I think a port to the TI-84+CSE would probably be pretty feasible, though.
KermMartian wrote:
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
No, this is for older PCs. I think a port to the TI-84+CSE would probably be pretty feasible, though.

It certainly would be; I myself programmed a fully TI-basic version of this that ran decently (but for the non-color) called Subterranean. And yes, it is for MS-DOS.
For Minecraft 3d, make the ores look like stone otherwise you can just go straight to the things you need.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours