hey, everyone. i'm looking to put together a desktop for the first time (until now i've been mostly working with other peoples' cast-off hardware), and have no clues how to go about choosing a motherboard, PSU, or case.

right now, i'm looking at a combination of:
*an i7-4770 (4th gen/Haswell)
*a GeForce GTX 760 (this one?)
*16 GB of Crucial DDR3
*a 120GB SDD for / and disk for /home/
*a ps/2 keyboard
*pci wireless of some sort

yes, i'm going to be using primarily linux, but want the fancy-pants graphics card because reasons.

any (suggestions for specific parts|general observations|beratement for choosing silly things|encouragements to RTFM) would be greatly appreciated! =)
I went through this back in May, and found http://pcpartpicker.com/ to be pretty useful in terms of picking parts, and eliminating incompatible parts.

This is also a pretty useful posting

http://lifehacker.com/5828747/how-to-build-a-computer-from-scratch-the-complete-guide
The Asus P8Z77 series of motherboards (or whatever revision matches the current chipset architecture) seems like a very solid choice to me. I have an Asus P8Z77V-Pro in my and my girlfriend's desktops, and other than a few enthusiast-level features that are lacking (like functional Wake-on-LAN), I've been very happy with them.
I ended up with a Asus P8Z77-V mobo as well. I've been happy with is so far. I've got a 120GByte SSD as the boot disk, and that's really impressively fast.
it doesn't look like any of those are compatible with haswell processors, though. what about the ASUS H87M series?
shmibs wrote:
it doesn't look like any of those are compatible with haswell processors, though. what about the ASUS H87M series?
The Newegg reviews of it look pretty solid. I'd also look for independent reviews, like HardOCP or Tom's Hardware reviews.
The reviews I read at the time I bought (right when Haswell came out) seemed to imply that in a desktop, there wasn't much of an improvement from using a Haswell processor, so I skipped it.
yeah, it's more of a power consumption and integrated graphics improvement than anything else. they switched to a new socket, though, so i'm going with it in case of future upgrades.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours