Hi, i am using ti89.

Is there a way to put results for x1 and x2 in a variable?

Result of solve(x^2=4,x) is string:
"x=-2 and x=2"

Thanks.
Use left( and right(
DrDnar wrote:
Use left( and right(
Hey, I learned something new too, thanks DrDnar! I didn't realize that you were a 68k connoisseur as well as a z80 enthusiast.
Problem is, that for example result x1 can be an integer and x2 can be a number with decimal component.

It could work with mid() and right() but it's a bit messy.

Code:

:solve(system of 2 equations) -> expr_solution (example: x=1. and x=1.123)

string(expr_solution)->string_solution

:instring("x=1. and x=1.123"," and ") -> num1 (num1=5)
:expr(mid("x=1. and x=1.123",3,num1-3)) -> x1
:dim("x=1. and x=1.123") -> num2 (num2=16)
:expr(right("x=1. and x=1.123",num2-num1-6)) -> x1

I am not sure if this code will work in all cases. It depends on Exponetial format and Exact/Approx mode, but i can set those.

Edit: Solve() actually returns expression so i have to convert it into string, before i can extract what i need. For now, this is working for me.
The part( function may help. It's essentially a parsing tool.

solve(x^2=4,x) returns x=2 or x=-2

part(solve(x^2=4,x)) returns 2, the number of arguments to the top-level function/operator in the expression.

To get each of these two arguments:
part(solve(x^2=4,x),1) returns x=2
part(solve(x^2=4,x),2) returns x=-2

To get the top-level function:
part(solve(x^2=4,x),0) returns β€œor”

This can be applied recursively to parse the rest of the expression, for example:

part(solve(x^2=4,x),1)→a [returns x=2 and stores the expression into a]
part(a) returns 2
part(a,1) returns x
part(a,2) returns 2
part(a,0) returns β€œ=”

You could use this to make a subprogram or function that searches for the values and puts them in a list, or something like that.
I think this is one answer to the question. The method works for me. I am posting the answer I received from the respondent indicated below. Couldn't write the "store" symbol in the message below, so just used the word:

"What about, e.g., nsolve(5=2+x,x) store y
This will perform a numeric solve on 5=2+x and store the result (3) in y. I was mistaken about it returning an equation--the symbolic solve command does this, but the numeric nsolve just returns a straightforward value.

--
Travis Evans
The ticalc.org Project
http://www.ticalc.org/"►
Why did not use zeros() result will be a matrice and can be manipulate! If have this function in that calculator. Im presume is like a Ti-Nspire which I have it and try to found resolve this problem while ago. I hope can help.

PS: if u use solve and find a equation with more than one solution, e.g. 3 or 4 what u want to do to extract it the roots!?
I believe that the original question was about the TI-89, but since I have no idea about that calculator and it's similarities to the Nspire, I won't try to help out with it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours