What is your favorite file format for audio?
MP3
 44%  [ 4 ]
AAC
 0%  [ 0 ]
WMA
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ogg Vorbis
 22%  [ 2 ]
Apple Lossless
 0%  [ 0 ]
AIFF
 0%  [ 0 ]
RAW
 0%  [ 0 ]
Old-school (Cassette, 8-track, Vinyl)
 22%  [ 2 ]
[I don't care.]
 11%  [ 1 ]
[I would care, but I'm deaf.]
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

What is your favorite audio file format? I happen to care.
I perfer vinyl. My dad got a new turn table for christmas, and the thing sounds amazing (especially when it's hooked up to his thousand dollar speaker system that he plays guitar on).
MIDI all the way!!
mp3 for portability
One that works. Razz
Currently, I'm importing all my music as Apple Lossless because I love iTunes and I feel like compressed audio formats are like highway robbery - you're paying (presumably) for your music, so why should you get less product by compressing it and losing quality? However, it bugs me that I must submit to the will of Apple when it comes to my music - what if they decide to add DRM to Apple Lossless? I would be REALLY pissed if anything happened that made it so my music got stuck on my computer. I'm considering converting everything to super high-quality mp3.
I really dont care....OmniCalc format is nice Laughing

Im not an audiophile, so as long as I can hear music, and there's no static noise Im find.
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:
Currently, I'm importing all my music as Apple Lossless because I love iTunes and I feel like compressed audio formats are like highway robbery - you're paying (presumably) for your music, so why should you get less product by compressing it and losing quality? However, it bugs me that I must submit to the will of Apple when it comes to my music - what if they decide to add DRM to Apple Lossless? I would be REALLY pissed if anything happened that made it so my music got stuck on my computer. I'm considering converting everything to super high-quality mp3.

upconverting is a waste of space and does nothing for the audio quality. As I understand it, apple's iTunes uses its lossy MP4 w/ DRM implementation for its store natively, so re-saving as a lossless is unnecessary. But if you are talking about ripping CD's you own, then lossless is understandable. But dump iTunes, it should be called i-loony-toons

However, the one i like the most, and the one you forgot on your list, is FLAC. Think open-source lossless codec, and you've got FLAC. Its quite fast, and actually has some hardware support. It'll never have DRM, and it has the ability to store an entire album into one file, or seperate FLAC files

For smaller, more portable files, i use OGG Vorbis. an extremely good sounding codec with which you can really crank up the quality for a really good size/quality ratio
Actually, I like the QuadPlay format even more than midi...gonna try a DCS port of that when I get a chance.
I prefer ogg for my audio files and ogm for my video standards; kinda the anime distrobution standard now Very Happy
Kllrnohj wrote:
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:

upconverting is a waste of space and does nothing for the audio quality. As I understand it, apple's iTunes uses its lossy MP4 w/ DRM implementation for its store natively, so re-saving as a lossless is unnecessary. But if you are talking about ripping CD's you own, then lossless is understandable. But dump iTunes, it should be called I-loony-toons

However, the one I like the most, and the one you forgot on your list, is FLAC. Think open-source lossless codec, and you've got FLAC. Its quite fast, and actually has some hardware support. It'll never have DRM, and it has the ability to store an entire album into one file, or seperate FLAC files

For smaller, more portable files, I use OGG Vorbis. an extremely good sounding codec with which you can really crank up the quality for a really good size/quality ratio
Of course I don't upconvert!!! That just increases file size; you can't save information that's already been lost. As for FLAC, I totally forgot about it. This is probably due to its extreme rarity (I have only seen it once before) and also because of the fact that I'm not a huge fan.
its one of the best (if not the best) lossless codecs (best part is its open sourced - don't have to worry about DRM or any of that crap)
if i had a ipod i might use apple lossess... but i use mp3 cuz i have a iriver mp3 player, it supports wma... but itunes wont... but idc mp3 is fine for me...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours