In 2004, I was very proud of having taught myself how to do sane, memory-efficient recursion in TI-BASIC, and used my newfound skills to create a fractal generator. Called the rather top-heavy Dynamic Recursive Fractal Generator v1.2, it asked for a coefficient C, then generated fractals by drawing C evenly-spaced circles around every circle, starting with a single large circle in the center of the screen. If that sounds confusing, check out the screenshots below. Anyway, now it's nine years later, so I decided to refresh the DRFG for the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition.

For this "remastered" version of the original, I of course am now using the full bigger graphscreen and colors, with a different color for each level of recursion. I also threw in a ton of bug-fixes and improvements: kinder graphscreen handling, a functioning way to escape the program without [ON], various optimizations, and more consistent scaling of the circles between recursion levels. Enjoy!

Download:
Dynamic Recursive Fractal Generator v2.0

That looks rather pretty Smile Once I get done with Connect 4, I'll have to do some playing around with this.
Nice! This seems like an excellent use of color.
Thanks Tari and tifreak8x. Smile TIfreak8x, you mean for the screenshotting, or for transferring?
There seems to be a printing issue at the end of it. In tokens both files are truncated. From the on-calc editor the last line of ZFRAC1 is
0->~MAnsZPlotStartI
Which causes a syntax error. When I quit mid-program it says:
WWW.CE3RecallPic ZPlotSta...
I downloaded from the cemetech archives and sent straight to my calc.
The colors make for a great addition! Do you use any particular scheme for deciding which color is next?
elfprince13 wrote:
The colors make for a great addition! Do you use any particular scheme for deciding which color is next?
Thanks! Yes, I do, I use the colors in color order, 10-19 and repeat.
I wonder if you could improve the aesthetics slightly by ordering them by hue or something like that, and cycling through a list?
elfprince13 wrote:
I wonder if you could improve the aesthetics slightly by ordering them by hue or something like that, and cycling through a list?
I tried a scheme like that, but it actually was more confusing with closer colors in sequence. The contrast makes it easier to see what pixels belong to which iteration, which I find edutaining.
The green/orange/pink image looks really good actually, but the black/pink/red is a little harder on the eyes. Sharp transitions make sense though, now that I think about it a little more.
elfprince13 wrote:
The green/orange/pink image looks really good actually, but the black/pink/red is a little harder on the eyes. Sharp transitions make sense though, now that I think about it a little more.
Mmm, that makes sense. Hopefully I'll get around to giving this other shapes in the future, in which case I'll also experiment with different color schemes.
*AHEM*
merthsoft wrote:
There seems to be a printing issue at the end of it. In tokens both files are truncated. From the on-calc editor the last line of ZFRAC1 is
0->~MAnsZPlotStartI
Which causes a syntax error. When I quit mid-program it says:
WWW.CE3RecallPic ZPlotSta...
I downloaded from the cemetech archives and sent straight to my calc.
I missed that post the first time around somehow. Sad It's not just you, though, I overlook posts all the time. Perhaps I should just stop bothering to post. :/

Anyway, interesting discovery. I sent the output files back to jsTIfied, and while prgmFRACTAL looks fine, prgmZFRAC1 does indeed end in 0->?????? oncalc. I'll try to fix that and rerelease it; may I ask for your help testing the fixed version?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours